How to appeal GCSE results 2021: appeals process explained if you don’t get grades you want on results day

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
If you’re not happy with your exam results, you can appeal through your school, exam board, or Ofqual

The number of pupils in England scoring a clean sweep of the highest grade in their GCSEs this summer has increased by more than a third in a year, with more girls achieving straight top grades than boys.

Overall the proportion of GCSE entries awarded the top grades has surged to a record high after exams were cancelled due to Covid and students recieved teacher-assessed grades.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

According to figures from Ofqual, the number of 16-year-old students in England who entered seven or more GCSEs and received a nine in all subjects has risen.

Girls have been awarded a greater proportion of top grades, overtaking their male counterparts for a second year (NationalWorld)Girls have been awarded a greater proportion of top grades, overtaking their male counterparts for a second year (NationalWorld)
Girls have been awarded a greater proportion of top grades, overtaking their male counterparts for a second year (NationalWorld) | JPI

We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below

Some 3,606 students in England achieved a clean sweep this summer, compared with 2,645 in 2020.

However, GCSE results day doesn’t always bring the grades that a pupil might have hoped for.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

This is what you need to know about how to appeal your grades, and the steps you can take.

How to appeal your results

If you’re unhappy with the results you’ve received in your GCSEs, the government says that you can ask your school or college to review a grade.

You can do this by asking your school or college to:

- Check they followed the correct process when deciding your grade

- Make sure they sent the correct grade to the exam board

If your school or college does identify a mistake, a revised grade can be submitted to the exam board for consideration.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Your school or college will need to submit your appeal to the exam board by 17 September 2021.

If an error has not been identified, but you are still unhappy with your results, you can ask your school or college to submit a formal appeal to the exam board on your behalf.

You can ask for an appeal for any of the following reasons:

- Your school or college did not follow their own processes properly

- Your school or college did not make a reasonable judgement about what evidence they used to decide your grade

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

- Your school or college did not make a reasonable judgement about your grade based on the evidence available to them

- Your school or college did not carry out the review of your grade correctly

You can also appeal if the exam board made a mistake when processing your result.

The exam board will decide if your grade needs correcting - be aware that there is always a chance that your new grade could actually end up lower than your original grade.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Do appeals cost money?

School Week reports this year the Department for Education will cover the cost of appeals to exam boards for state school pupils and private candidates.

What if I’m not happy with the exam board appeal?

Your final route of appeal is to apply to Ofqual’s Exams Procedure Review Service (EPRS) to review your appeal.

The government says: “You can apply to EPRS if the exam board decides that the grade you were awarded is reasonable, and your school or college correctly followed its procedure, but you are still concerned that there may have been an error in the procedure used by the exam board to conduct the appeal.”

The EPRS will only consider whether the exam board has followed the correct rules and procedures - it will not consider whether you received the correct grade based on the evidence of your work.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The exam board’s final decision on your grade will stand unless the EPRS finds that the exam board made an error in its review procedure - even in this situation, your grade could still remain the same.

After you’ve received your outcome from the exam board, you then have 21 days to apply to EPRS. If you wait longer than three weeks after the appeal decision, you will need to tell EPRS why there was a delay, but it might not accept your application.

To apply to EPRS, you must email the public enquiries team at [email protected] with the subject line “EPRS application”.

In your email, you must state:

- The qualification you want Ofqual to look at (e.g A Level, GCSE etc)

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

- The name and address of the school, college or other centre which decided your teacher assessed grades

- The name of the exam board

- The date of the letter from the exam board with your final appeal decision

From here, the EPRS will consider whether your case can be looked at - if not, you will be given advice for what you can do instead.

If EPRS does decide to look at your case, you will be sent a link to a form. You must fill out the form in its entirety, and you will need to explain what you think went wrong.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.