Autumn has officially begun, and many families across the UK are gearing up for October holidays as UK travel restrictions are relaxed from early in the month.
The school holidays vary across the UK, so it’s important to check when schools in your area are off.
Here’s when schools break for half term in Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales - and where to find out more details about your local area.
When are the October half term holidays in 2021?
Scottish schools, generally, will be closed from Monday 11 to Friday 15 October for the October half term.
You should be aware that term dates can vary from school to school in Scotland.
You can find out the term calendar for your school by typing your postcode into the My Gov.Scot website.
From then, the 2021/2022 calendar goes as follows:
- Christmas and New Year - closed 23 December 2021 to 4 January 2022
- February mid-term break - closed 14 to 16 February 2022
- April - closed from 2:30pm on 1 April 2022 until 19 April 2022
- May - closed Monday 2 May for May Holiday, Thursday 5 May 2022 (in-service day) and Friday 27 May 2022
- Summer break - closed 1 July
In England, schools will be closed between Monday 25 October and Friday 29 October.
To check the term dates where you live, simply enter your postcode on theGovernment website.
Following on from that point, the school term holiday dates goes as follows:
- December - closed 20 December 2021 to 3 January 2022
- February - closed 14 February 2022 to 18 February 2022
- April - closed 4 April 2022 to 18 April 2022
- Summer half term - closed 30 May 2022 to 3 June 22
- Summer break - closed 25 July 2022
It should be noted that while these are the recommended school terms and holiday dates for nursery, primary and secondary schools, the Government states: “Many schools now have the autonomy to determine their own term dates.
“You are advised to contact your child’s school directly to confirm their term dates.”
Because term dates can differ by council areas, so some schools may go back earlier or later than others.
In October, schools in Northern Ireland will close from 28 to 29 October.
The Department of Education for Northern Ireland states: “These dates are based on an assumption of a ‘normal’ school year. If government advice impacts these dates, schools will be notified as promptly as possible.”
The rest of the 2021/2022 school holidays for Northern Irish schools goes as follows:
- Christmas and New Year - closed from 23 December 2021 to 3 January 2022
- Mid-term - closed 17 to 18 February 2022
- St Patrick’s Day - closed 17 March 2022
- Easter - closed 14 to 22 April 2022
- May Day - closed 2 May 2022
- Spring Bank Holiday and Platinum Jubilee Bank Holiday - closed 2 to 3 June 2022
- Summer holidays - closed 1 July 2022
Schools are permitted to take a number of staff training and school development days - pupils do not attend these days, and these days are likely to differ from school to school.
To check term and holiday dates in your child’s school, contact the school.
The approved school term dates for Welsh schools will see schools closed from 25 to 29 October.
The rest of the approved school term dates for 2021/22 goes as follows:
- Winter holidays - from 20 December 2021 to 3 January 2022
- Spring half term holidays - from 21 to 25 February 2022
- Spring holidays - 11 April to 22 April 2022
- Summer half term holidays - 30 May 2022 to 3 June 2022
- Summer holidays - closed 25 July 2022