Many of us likely have stories of when we’ve been doing some online grocery shopping and an item has been replaced with something else - sometimes it's logical, sometimes it’s not.
However, Tesco shoppers this week have been left gobsmacked to find that the supermarket has substituted items in their shopping with the likes of free iPhones, Samsung tablets and even airpods.
In a statement, Tesco explained: “From [7 April] until 18 April, Tesco Mobile is raiding the nation’s shopping bags to make unbelievable substitutes in luck Tesco.com Click and Collect orders.
“Tesco Mobile’s “Super Subs” has been created to show how amazing things can happen when the worlds of supermarket and mobile come together - all while putting a smile on shopper’s faces.”
‘We ordered apples and got an Apple iPhone’
Shoppers have been sharing their amazing substitutions on Twitter, with one user writing: “A big thanks this week to @tesco & @tescomobile. On Wednesday evening we went to pick up our click and collect order and had a little surprise in there - an Apple iPhone SE. Apparently we ordered apples and randomly got an Apple iPhone! Made my son's week!”
Shoppers that have been given a brand new piece of tech with their groceries receive a card that lets them know they’ve won.
The card says: “You’ve got a super substitute! Amazing things happen when the worlds of supermarket and mobile come together, and so Tesco Mobile is surprising select Tesco.com shoppers by substituting Click and Collect grocery items with a fun Tesco Mobile substitute.
“Nothing makes us happier than putting a smile on customer’s faces, so we’ve put a ‘supersub’ in your shopping to make your food shop even more special.
“Ordered some apples? You might find an Apple iPhone SE in there! Have some laundry tablets in your load? There could be a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab A7 or that gnocchi you were going to rustle up could be a Nokia, with loads more subs to be found!”
How to take part
If you want to be in with a chance to win some tech from Tesco Mobile, all you need to do is place a Click and Collect order to be collected from a participating store.
Certain items will need to be included in your shopping bags in order to possibly pick up a new phone, earbuds or smart watch.
The promotion period started on Wednesday 7 April and will run until 4pm on Sunday 18 April.
In order to be eligible to take part in the competition, you must be a resident in England, Scotland or Wales, aged 18 or over and not connected to the supermarket in any way, for example, as an employee or an employee's immediate family.
A maximum of one Super Substitution will be available per selected Click and Collect order, with winners chosen at random.
Shoppers are required to have bought certain items in order to be in with a chance to nab some goodies:
- a Tesco branded multipack of apples (any variant) could be substituted for an Apple iPhone SE 64GB
- a pack of Tesco branded laundry tablets could be substituted for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
- a pack of Tesco branded freshly baked bread rolls could be substituted for a Motorola E7
- a pack of Pampers Active Fit Nappies (any variant) could be substituted for a Samsung Galaxy Fit 2 in black
- a Galaxy milk chocolate bar (any size or variant) could be substituted for a Samsung Galaxy S21 5G 128GB
- a pack of gnocchi could be substituted for a Nokia 3.4
- a pack of Tesco branded frozen cod (any variant) could be substituted for Apple Airpods with Charging Case
- a Galaxy chocolate drink (any size or variant) could be substituted for a Samsung Galaxy Watch 3
- a pack of Mini Cheddars (any variant) could be substituted for an Apple iPhone 12 Mini 64GB
- Cotton Buds (any variant) could be substituted for Samsung Galaxy Buds Live
The stores taking part
The promotion is only being offered at a handful of Tesco Extra stores dotted around the UK.
These are the stores that are taking part in the special offer from Tesco:
- Glasgow Silverburn Extra
- Twickenham Extra
- Stretford Extra
- Swansea Cadle Extra
- Portsmouth Extra
- Dudley Extra