Hugo Fernandes: Corby drink driver who crashed into 4 teens on a zebra crossing is jailed for 7 years

One of the teens struck by Hugo Fernandes, had his head stuck in the broken windscreen and was carried for a quarter-of-a-mile before being flung into the road

A drink driver who mowed down four teenagers and carried an 18-year-old boy for a quarter-of-a-mile with his head stuck in the windscreen, has been jailed.

Hugo Andre Nunes Fernandes, 36, ploughed into the friends as they celebrated the end of their A-Level exams this summer.

Fernandes overtook another car while careering onto the wrong side of the road and smashed into the teenagers.

The horrific hit-and-run happened as the friends were on a zebra crossing in Cottingham Road in Corby, Northamptonshire, 11.25pm on 24 June this year.

One of the boys, aged 18, had his head stuck in the broken windscreen and was carried for a quarter-of-a-mile before being flung into the road.

Hugo Andre Nunes Fernandes, who is starting a seven-year-jail term for seriously injuring four teens on a zebra crossing in Corby

‘Doctors didn’t know if he would make it’

He was rushed to hospital and placed in an induced coma while the two girls and another boy, all aged 18, suffered critical injuries including multiple smashed bones.

Fernandes, who was two-and-a-half times over the drink drive limit, dumped the car at a boating lake and was arrested nearby.

He admitted three counts of causing serious injury by dangerous driving, attempted grievous bodily harm, drink driving and driving without insurance.

Fernandes, of Corby, was jailed for seven years and one month at Northampton Crown Court.

In a victim impact statement, the mum of the boy who was carried on the car bonnet, said: “He could have died right there and then.

“They are a lovely group of young people on the cusp of adult life.

“We were told by the doctors that they didn’t know if he would make it. I was inconsolable. My whole world fell apart in that room.

“We spent weeks by his bedside in critical care while he was unconscious. It was hard to breathe, let alone carry on.”

‘His actions had devasting consequences’

Detective Sergeant Ryan Catling, of Northamptonshire Police, said: “This was a shocking case and it’s difficult for many to believe that Fernandes didn’t stop to check on these young people at any point during the incident.

“This group of friends were enjoying a night out to celebrate the end of their A-level exams and the end of their time at school - having fun and looking forward to the next stage in their lives.

“They were crossing this road safely when Fernandes drove dangerously on the wrong side of the road and crashed into them.

“His actions had devasting consequences that night which are still being felt today.

“Indeed, one of the young men involved, an exceptionally bright and kind boy, remains in a care facility learning to walk and talk again.

“No sentence will repair the damage Fernandes has caused however I hope the conclusion of this case allows these young people and their families to move forward.

“They have remained so composed and courageous throughout our investigation and my thoughts will remain with them all as they continue to recover, both physically and mentally.”