Inmate who restrained Fishmongers’ Hall terrorist approved for early prison release

The inmate was on day release from prison when he intervened in the attack.

Two young graduates were killed in the 2019 attack.

An inmate who tackled a terrorist to the ground during the Fishmongers’ Hall attack in 2019 has been approved for early release from prison.

Steven Gallant was on day release when he restrained knife-wielding terrorist Usman Khan during the latter’s London attack in 2019, in which two people were killed.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below

At a glance: five key points

-Convicted terrorist Usman Khan attacked the Fishmongers’ Hall, London, in 2019 with a fake suicide belt and two large knives, killing two young graduates.

-Steven Gallant tackled Khan to the ground following the stabbings, initially hitting him with a narwhal tusk taken from the hall and restraining him until police arrived.

-Gallant was on day release from prison, having been jailed in 2005 for the murder of a firefighter.

-Gallant’s actions on the day saw his sentence cut following intervention from the Queen.

-The Parole Board confirmed that Gallant has been directed for release from prison following a hearing in June.

What’s been said

A spokesperson for the Parole Board said: “We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of Steven Gallant following an oral hearing.

“Parole Board decisions are solely focused on what risk a prisoner could represent to the public if released and whether that risk is manageable in the community.

“A panel will carefully examine a huge range of evidence, including details of the original crime, and any evidence of behaviour change, as well as explore the harm done and impact the crime has had on the victims.”


Gallant gave evidence at an inquest into the deaths of victims Jack Merritt and Saskia Jones, recalling a crowd of bystanders gathering as he intervened to stop Khan.

He recalls somebody suggesting to “give him (Khan) a kicking”.

He told jurors: “I said no, we had control of him at that time. It would make it more difficult.”

Gallant said he initially “whacked” Khan with a narwhal tusk but was empty-handed by the time of the battle on the bridge.

After attempting to get up, Gallant told jurors he gave Khan “a couple of uppercuts to the face”, which he said helped to “stun him a little bit”.