Man, 60, dies after being stabbed in ‘unprovoked’ attack in Oxford Circus

Scotland Yard have said the incident is not believed to be linked to terrorism

A murder investigation has been launched after a 60-year-old man has died in a “random and unprovoked assault” in broad daylight in central London.

The victim was found injured following the stabbing in Oxford Circus, near Regent Street, at around 8pm on 1 July - and died in hospital.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Read More

Read More
European holidays at risk of being blocked for 5 million Brits given Indian-made...
The scene of the shocking incident in London's Oxford Cirus where a 60-year-old was stabbed on 1 July (@okubax/PA)

‘Two males with skateboards sought by police’

Scotland Yard said the force is looking to trace two young men with skateboards who intervened to help detain the suspect.

Detective Chief Inspector Vicky Tunstall, from the Specialist Crime Command, said: “This is being treated as a random and unprovoked assault and we are not actively looking for anybody else in connection with the incident. I would like to reassure the public that this is not believed to be linked to terrorism.

“It is clear that this area of Oxford Circus was very busy at the time of the attack. Members of the public intervened to detain the suspect and I hope to trace and speak to them, to secure their accounts and offer support. In particular, I would like to trace two young males with skateboards who led this intervention.

The stabbing took place near Oxford Circus' Regent Street (AFP/Getty Images)

“I am appealing to any person who witnessed the assault, or who has mobile phone footage, to contact us. I am also appealing to the owners of any passing cars with dashcams to check whether they have recorded the incident.”

‘It was awful’

A 25-year-old man was arrested at the scene on suspicion of grievous bodily harm and possession of an offensive weapon.

He was subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in custody at a central London police station.

A witness to the stabbing told Press Association they saw members of the public grab the suspect and disarm him.

The passer-by, who asked not to be named, said members of the public “detained him and put the knife in a cylinder”.

They added: “One man grabbed him and, soon after, the police were there holding him down and he was shouting. I couldn’t hear what he was saying though.”