St James’s Hospital: Counter-terrorism police charge man after bomb scare at Leeds hospital

Mohammad Farooq, 27, has been charged with a series of terrorism, explosive and firearms offences following the bomb scare at St James’s Hopsital last week

<p>A 27-year-old man from Leeds has been arrested (Photo: Yorkshire Post)</p>

A 27-year-old man from Leeds has been arrested (Photo: Yorkshire Post)

Counter-terrorism police have charged a man with a series of terrorism offences after a “suspicious package” was found outside a hospital in Leeds last week. Emergency services were called to the Gledhow Wing of St James’s Hospital, Beckett Street, Leeds on Friday morning (20 January).

Mohammad Farooq, 27, in question has been charged with engaging in the preparation of an act of terrorism. He has also been charged by the Counter Terrorism Policing North East division with explosive and firearms offences.

Some people were evacuated from the immediate area as a safety precaution, West Yorkshire Police said. A cordon was also put in place as a precautionary measure for public safety while army specialists attended the scene.

Detective Chief Superintendent James Dunkerley, head of Counter Terrorism Policing North East, said: “These enquiries have confirmed our initial assessment that this was an isolated incident. We are satisfied that there is currently no evidence of an increased risk to the public, within our communities or the UK hospital estate, in connection with this investigation.

“Despite this, the UK threat level remains at substantial, and history has shown us we can’t afford to be complacent. Public vigilance is invaluable in supporting the efforts of Counter Terrorism Policing and its partners to protect our communities from harm.

A 27-year-old man from Leeds has been arrested (Photo: Yorkshire Post)

“We’re grateful for the support we’ve received from the public during this investigation. We’d particularly like to thank the staff and patients at St James’s Hospital for their patience and cooperation throughout the disruption last Friday.”

Police previously confirmed that they were teating the bomb scare as an “isolated incident”. Mr Dunkerley, added: “There is no evidence to suggest there is any heightened or ongoing risk to the public.”

Mr Farooq has been remanded in custody. He id due to appear in Westmister Magistrates’ Court in London via video link on Friday (27 January).