Celtic’s chief executive Peter Lawwell and his family have been left “extremely shaken” after an explosion took place at their home from a reported petrol bomb.
The incident occurred at Lawwell’s house in the early hours of Wednesday morning (19 May), with Celtic confirming that the entire family had to leave the property and were taken to a safe location.
‘Peter and his family will of course receive the full support and care of everyone at the club’
Lawwell’s house caught fire after the initial explosion, and the family has said they are all “shaken” by the event, but have confirmed that none were injured in the incident.
Firefighters were called to the fire, which affected cars and the house in Thorntonhall, South Lanarkshire.
Eight fire engines were sent to the scene in Peel Road, when the alarm was raised just after 1am.
Although firefighters extinguished the blaze, some remained at the scene at 7am and police road closures were still in place at that time.
Police and the fire service have now launched a joint investigation.
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “Around 1am on Wednesday, officers were called to a report of vehicles on fire outside a house on Peel Road, Thorntonhall.
“No-one was injured and officers are currently working with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service to establish the cause of the fire.”
Celtic has also offered the full backing of the club to Lawwell and his family.
A Celtic statement said: "We can confirm that significant damage has been caused to Peter Lawwell’s house and vehicles there, following an explosion and fire early this morning, forcing the family to leave the property.
"Clearly, Peter’s family are extremely shaken and shocked by these terrible events, but thankfully all are safe.
"We understand that Police Scotland are currently undertaking a criminal investigation.
"Peter and his family will of course receive the full support and care of everyone at the club."