Travel agents TUI have cancelled holidays to some of Brits’ most popular destinations until July, as the Prime Minister looks set to delay the reopening of international travel from 21 June until July.
TUI has already been forced to pull the plug on many holidays this month, due to the continued uncertainty.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- According to Travel Weekly, holidays to the following destinations have been cancelled until 5 July:
Greece - Crete, Kavala, Kefalonia, Mykonos, Preveza, Samos, Santorini, Skiathos, Thessaloniki
Spain - Mainland Spain, Formentera, Majorca, Ibiza, Menorca, La Palma
- Holidays cancelled until 11 July are:
- Holidaymakers who have booked accommodation only with TUI, with non-TUI flight, travelling to the Maldives, Sri Lanka, Thailand and the UAE have also been cancelled until July 11 while TUI holidays to Florida have been cancelled until June 30.
- The move comes following disappointing news for the travel industry last week, when the amber list grew longer and the green list became shorter - with Portugal moved to amber, joining Spain, Greece, Italy and France.- Jet2 have also cancelled all holidays until the beginning of July, while OnTheBeach has cancelled all holidays and stopped all sales until August.
What’s been said
TUI said: "We want to offer our customers flexibility and choice this summer, so where borders are open and FCDO advice allows travel, we will operate to those destinations as planned.
“We are constantly reviewing our holiday programme and cancellations in line with the government updates every three weeks, with the next update expected on June 24.
“All customers will be contacted as soon as possible if there is any change to their booking.”
TUI added: "All customers impacted by these cancellations will be contacted directly and will be able to request a full cash refund, or to change to a later date or alternative holiday and receive a booking incentive."
Health Secretary Matt Hancock said that restoring international travel is an "important goal" - but is one that will be "challenging and hard."
His scepticism was supported by Transport Secretary George Eustice, who suggested people should be taking their summer holidays in the UK.
On 8 June, Eustice told Sky News he would be holidaying in Cornwall this year, telling Brtis: "Our advice has been don't travel unless it's absolutely necessary.
"I will be staying at home, I have no intention of travelling or going on a holiday abroad this summer."
Amber list destinations required a 10-day quarantine when returning to the UK, as well as two extra Covid tests.
Boris Johnson is expected to announce any upcoming changes to travel at his press conference today (14 June) at 6pm.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.