Indonesia's navy have announced 53 crew members aboard the missing navy submarine off the coast of Bali have died after the ship sunk and cracked open
Military chief Hadi Tjahjanto said an oil slick and debris near where it last dived on April 21 was clear proof the KRI Nanggala 402 sank.
‘It might be in pieces’
Navy Chief Yudo Margono told a press conference in Bali: "If it's an explosion, it will be in pieces.
"The cracks happened gradually in some parts when it went down from 300 metres to 400 metres to 500 metres ... If there was an explosion, it would be heard by the sonar."
The navy previously said it believes the submarine sank to a depth of 600-700 metres (2,000-2,300 feet), much deeper than its collapse depth of 200 metres (655 feet), at which point water pressure would be greater than the hull could withstand.
The cause of the disappearance was still uncertain.
No bodies found yet
The navy had previously said an electrical failure could have left the submarine unable to execute emergency procedures to resurface.
Mr Margono said that in the past two days, searchers found parts of a torpedo straightener, a grease bottle believed to be used to oil the periscope, debris from prayer rugs and a broken piece from a coolant pipe that was refitted on the submarine in South Korea in 2012.
"With the authentic evidence we found believed to be from the submarine, we have now moved from the 'sub miss' phase to 'sub sunk,'" Mr Margono said at the press conference, in which the found items were displayed.
Mr Margono said rescue teams from Indonesia and other countries will evaluate the findings.
He said no bodies have been found so far.
Officials previously said the submarine's oxygen supply would have run out early on Saturday.
An American reconnaissance plane landed early Saturday and had been set to join the search, along with 20 Indonesian ships, a sonar-equipped Australian warship and four Indonesian aircraft.
Singaporean rescue ships were also expected Saturday, while Malaysian rescue vessels were due to arrive Sunday.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.