It was reported earlier in the week that Tottenham Hotspur had suffered a Covid-19 outbreak, with eight players and five staff members testing positive.
As a result, Spurs’ Europa Conference League fixture against Ligue 1 side Rennes was postponed, as well as their Premier League tie with Brighton & Hove Albion this weekend.
Two days after the European fixture was due to take place, Uefa have now confirmed that it will not be rescheduled.
The result of the match will now be decided by the Uefa control, ethics and disciplinary body next week.
European football’s governing body said: "Uefa in cooperation with the two clubs tried to find a viable solution in order to reschedule the match.
"Unfortunately, despite all efforts, a solution that could work for both clubs could not be found. As a consequence, the match can no longer be played."
Although Uefa has said the match can’t be played, its disciplinary body could set aside the 31 December deadline so Tottenham’s group stage fixture can be completed.
Spurs currently sit third in their group, so if they are forced to forfeit the match then they will be knocked out of the competition.
If Rennes were to forfeit then it would put Antonio Conte’s side into the play-off and knock Vitesse out.
The Dutch club have already expressed their annoyance at Spurs’ postponement given they are yet to know whether they will progress to the knockout stage, despite beating Mura in their final group game on Thursday.