Previous Grand National winners: full list of past Aintree race victors from 1950 to 2021’s Minella Times win
Red Rum is the most successful horse at the Grand National but here are all of the winners from 1950
The Grand National festival returns this weekend with the world famous steeplechase taking place on Saturday 9 April 2022 at Aintree.
Rachael Blackmore will return to the Merseyside racecourse a year on after her historic win in 2021.
The Irish jockey became the first woman to win the prestigious Grand National after coming in number one on Minella Times and will hope to continue making history as she rides on Minella Times again.
The weekend kicks off today with Opening Day. Races will start from 1.45pm BST and are expected to run until just before 6pm BST.
Soprano Singer, Laura Wright, will be joined by the Merseyside NHS Choir to open the ceremony before the races start.
The National Hunt horse race is one of the most famous races in the world and was first run in 1839. It is a handicap steeplechase over an official distance of 4 miles 514 yards and horses jump over 30 fences during the two lap course.
In 2017, the prize fund was £1 million, making it the most valuable jump race in Europe.
This National Hunt has become a strong part of British culture and many join in on the betting and festivities even if they are not usually horse-racing fans.
With just two days to go, let’s take a look at some of the past winners of the Grand National Steeplechase…
Who is the most successful Horse at the Grand National?
Red Rum is the only horse to have won the Grand National three times. He came in first in 1973, 1974 and 1977. In the intervening years, Red Rum finished second.
In 1973, Red Rum finished in 9 minutes 1.9 seconds - a record that stood for 17 years.
Tiger Roll is the next most successful horse to have competed in the prestigious steeplechase.
He is the only horse to have won two consecutive races - 2018 and 2019 - after Red Rum.
Who won the Grand National in 2021?
Minella Times won the Grand National in 2021 with the Irish jockey Rachael Blackmore riding.
Previous Winners of Grand National dating back to 1950:
- 2021: Minella Times - Rachael Blackmore - Henry de Bromhead
- 2020: No race
- 2019: Tiger Roll - Davy Russell - Gordon Elliott
- 2018: Tiger Roll - Davy Russell - Gordon Elliott
- 2017: One For Arthur - David Mullins - Mouse Morris
- 2015: Many Clouds - Leighton Aspell - Oliver Sherwood
- 2014: Pineau De Re - Leighton Aspell - Dr Richard Newland
- 2013: Auroras Encore - Ryan Mani - Sue Smith
- 2012: Neptune Collonges - Daryl Jacob - Paul Nicholls
- 2011: Ballabriggs - JM Maguire - D McCain Jnr
- 2010: Don’t Push It - AP McCoy - Jonjo O’Neill
- 2009: Mon Mome - Liam Treadwell - Venetia Williams
- 2008: Comply or Die - TJ Murphy - David Pipe
- 2007: Silver Birch - Robbie Power - Gordon Elliott
- 2006: Numbersixvalverde - Niall Madden - Martin Brassil
- 2005: Hedgehunter - Ruby Walsh - Willie Mullins IRE
- 2004: Amberleigh House - Graham Lee - Donald McCain
- 2003: Monty’s Pass - Barry Geraghty - Jimmy Mangan
- 2002: Bindaree - Jim Culloty - Nigel Twiston-Davies
- 2001: Red Marauder - Richard Guest - Norman Mason
- 2000: Papillon - Ruby Walsh - Ted Walsh IRE
- 1999: Bobbyjo - Paul Carberry - Tommy Carberry IRE
- 1998: Earth summit - Carl Llewellyn - Nigel Twiston-Davies
- 1997: Lord Gyllene - Tony Dobbin - Steve Brookshaw
- 1996: Rough Quest - Mick Fitzgerald - Terry Case
- 1995: Royal Athlete - Jason Titley - Jenny Pitman
- 1994: Miinehoma - Richard Dunwoody - Martin Pipe
- 1993: Void Race
- 1992: Party Politics - Carl Llewellyn - Nick Gaselee
- 1991: Seagram - Nigel Hawke - David Barons
- 1990: Mr Frisk - Mr Marcus Armytage - Kim Bailey
- 1989: Little Polveir - Jimmy Frost - Toby Balding
- 1988: Rhyme ‘N’ Reason - Brendan Powell - David Elsworth
- 1987: Maori Venture - Steve Knight - Andrew Turnell
- 1986: West Tip - Richard Dunwoody - Miachel Oliver
- 1985: Last Suspect - Hywel Davies - Tim Forster
- 1984: Hallo Dandy - Neale Doughty - Gordon Richards
- 1983: Corbiere - Ben de Haan - Jenny Pitman
- 1982: Grittar - Mr Dick Saunders - Frank Gilman
- 1981: Aldaniti - Bob Champion - Josh Gifford
- 1980: Ben Nevis - Charlie Fenwick - Tim Forster
- 1979: Rubstic - Maurice Barnes - John Leadbetter
- 1978: Lucius - Bob Davies - Gordon Richards
- 1977: Red Rum - Tommy Stack - Donald McCain
- 1976: Rag Trade - John Burke - Fred Rimell
- 1975: L’Escargot - Tommy Carberry - Don Moore
- 1974: Red Rum - Brian Fletcher - Donald McCain
- 1973: Red Rum - Brian Fletcher - Donald McCain
- 1972: Well To Do - Graham Thorner - Tim Forster
- 1971: Specify - John Cook - John Sutcliffe
- 1970: Gay Trip - Pat Taaffe - Fred Rimell
- 1969: Highland Wedding - Eddie Harty - Toby Balding
- 1968: Red Alligator - Brian Fletcher - Denys Smith
- 1967: Foinavon - John Buckingham - John Kempton
- 1966: Anglo - Tim Norman - Fred Winter
- 1965: Jay Trump - Mr Tommy Smith - Fred Winter
- 1964: Team Spirit - George Robinson - Fulke Walwyn
- 1963: Ayala - Pat Buckely - Keith Piggott
- 1962: Kilmore - Fred Winter - Ryan Price
- 1961: Nicolaus Silver - Bobby Beasley - Fred Rimell
- 1960: Merrymann II - Gerry Scott - Neville Crump
- 1959: Oxo - Michael Scudamore - Willie Stephenson
- 1958: Mr What - Arthur Freeman - Tom Taaffe
- 1957: Sundew - Fred Winter - Frank Hudson
- 1956: ESB - Dave Dick - Fred Rimell
- 1955: Quare Times - Pat Taaffe - Vincent O’Brien
- 1954: Royal Tan - Bryan Marshall - Vincent O’Brien
- 1953: Early Mist - Bryan Marshall - Vincent O’Brien
- 1952: Teal - Arthur Thompson - Neville Crump
- 1951: Nickel Coin - John Bullock - Jack O’Donoghue
- 1950: Freebooter - Jimmy Power - Bobby Renton