This is everything you need to know.
Who is in the cast?
The cast of The Eternals features an incredible star studded lineup, including:
- Angelina Jolie (Those Who Wish Me Dead, Maleficent: Mistress of Evil) as Thena
- Salma Hayek (Bliss, The Roads Not Taken) as Ajak
- Gemma Chan (Humans, Crazy Rich Asians) as Sersi
- Richard Madden (Game of Thrones, The Bodyguard) as Ikaris
- Kit Harington (Game of Thrones, Criminal: UK) as Dane Whitman/Black Knight
- Kumail Nanjiani (The Big Sick, Life as We Know It) as Kingo
- Brian Tyree Henry (Atlanta, The Woman in the Window) as Phastos
- Barry Keoghan (Chernobyl, The Killing of a Sacred Deer) as Druig
- Lauren Ridlogg (The Walking Dead, Sound of Metal) as Makkari
- Ma Dong-seok (Train to Busan, 38 Task Force) as Gilgamesh
- Lia McHugh (American Woman, Songbird) as Sprite
The Eternals is directed by Chloe Zhao, who recently made history as the second woman, and first woman of colour, to win Best Director at the 2021 Oscars for her film Nomadland, starring Francis McDormand, which also scooped the Best Picture and Best Actress awards as well.
Zhao shot Eternals and Nomadland back to back, utilising the same camera and operating rig.
Speaking to Variety, Hayek discussed how important the range of diversity seen in the film truly is.
She said: “I think a lot of people are going to feel seen and that’s important and that’s what matters.
“It’s not diverse for the sake of being diverse. It’s the way [Zhao] chose every single one of us that really creates a family for the purpose of the Eternals. For the purpose of the film. It doesn’t feel forced.”
Is there a trailer?
The first trailer for the new Marvel movie has been released, and it picks up in the immediate aftermath of the events of Avengers: Endgame.
The film follows members of an immortal alien face who have secretly been living on Earth, but who must come together and use their powers for the sake of the world.
The newly released trailer gives us some information about where they’ve been all along, with a voiceover stating: “We have watched and guided. We have helped them progress and seen them accomplish wonders.
“Throughout the years, we have never interfered - until now.”
The trailer doesn’t give away what has caused these creatures to come out of hiding and into the open, but it’s likely to be connected to the events that occurred in Avengers: Endgame.
The trailer ends with an acknowledgement that the Avengers are in need of a new leader, with one character asking: “So now that Captain Rogers and Iron Man are both gone, who do you think is going to lead the Avengers?”
The character of Ikaris (played by Madden) replies saying that he could lead them, only to be laughed at by the rest of the gang.
When will it be released?
Eternals is scheduled to be released in cinemas on 5 November 2021, after having been moved from 12 February.
Originally, it had a release date of 6 November 2020.
Eternals star Gemma Chan confirmed on Twitter in February 2020 that filming for the film had officially wrapped.