Millie Court and Liam Reardon have been named the winners of Love Island 2021.
The fashion buyer’s administrator from Essex, 24, considered splitting from the bricklayer from Wales, 22, after he was unfaithful while in rival villa Casa Amor, but the couple reunited to win the £50,000 prize money.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- Millie and Liam beat Chloe Burrows and Toby Aromolaran in the final two, while Teddy Soares and Faye Winter came in third and Kaz Kamwi and Tyler Cruickshank placed fourth
- After the result of the public vote was announced, the couple had to decide whether to stick or split the cash prize
- Millie received the envelope with the money but decided to split it with Liam – meaning they took home £25,000 each
- Laura Whitmore hosted the live final from the garden of the ITV2 show’s Mallorcan villa while a cheering audience looked on
- Liberty Poole and Jake Cornish, who had been coupled up since the first episode of the show, gave up a place in the final last week when they called time on their romance and left the villa
What’s been said
Speaking after their win, Millie said: “I can not believe we have just been crowned the winners of Love Island,” before adding: “We have literally had the summer of our lives and we are going to leave here and now explore our future together.”
During their final interviews, Toby joked that describing his relationship with Chloe as a “massive journey” was an “understatement” after the pair broke up and then got back together during the series.
Teddy and Faye also recalled their journey in the villa during an interview with Whitmore, with Faye apologising for losing her temper during the Casa Amor period of the show, despite Teddy not straying romantically.
The final episode of the series, which featured nearly 40 islanders attempting to find love in the villa, also included clips of the finalists’ last day together.
During their final morning in the villa, the finalists were woken by a text which announced they would be taking part in a salsa dance class ahead of the winners being announced that evening.
The male contestants wrote declarations of love to their partners, with Toby worrying his letter would be “so soppy”.
Later that day, the boys wore black tie to a summer ball event in the villa garden.
The girls arrived one by one and the group enjoyed glasses of champagne before reading each other their declarations.
Toby used his speech to ask Chloe to be his girlfriend.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.