Meet some of the team behind NationalWorld
The national media in the UK has always been rooted in London, from the birth of Fleet Street as a publishing centre in the 16th century right through to the present day.
That used to make sense. If you wanted to hold power to account, you had to be close to the power, the argument went.
But the pandemic has shown this concentration of the national media for what it is: an imbalance of geography that leads to imbalanced coverage.
Although London represents just 13% of the UK population, all of the country’s national newspapers are still headquartered in the capital, along with the BBC, Sky, ITV and Channel 4.
Unlike them, the NationalWorld team is not based in London (with one or two exceptions these days).
Our journalists live and work in towns and cities across the UK, from Edinburgh and Gateshead to Leeds and Nottingham.
As NationalWorld marks one year since the site was launched, here’s a look at who we are and what we do.
Nick Mitchell, Editor
Nick spent the early part of his career with The Scotsman, before going on to help launch iNews with the team at the i newspaper in 2016, and more recently working across digital publishing, video and podcasts within JPI as head of content development.
Daniel Bird, Deputy Editor
Based in Northamptonshire, Dan started his career with the Press Association before taking roles at The Daily Telegraph, ITV News, Leicestershire Live and Which? Magazine. He most recently worked with the southern titles in the JPIMedia portfolio as Head of Audience.
Crystal Chesters, Assistant Editor
Having lived and worked internationally editing websites and magazines, Crystal is now based in Edinburgh and for the past few years has been tasked with growing the SEO strategy across JPI Media’s brands.
Paul Clarke, Sports Editor
Paul joined the team in November 2021, after spending most of his career in a variety of sports editing roles at Reach titles. Based in Yorkshire, he oversees the sports coverage on NationalWorld, as well as the metro city titles.
Harriet Clugston, Data and Investigations Editor
A recent arrival in Edinburgh, Harriet previously worked as a reporter for the Hertfordshire Mercury and as a data journalist for the Press Association's local news agency, Radar AI, before joining JPI to head up data and investigations content across the group.
James Trembath, Digital Production Editor
James began his journalism career at the age of 16 on his hometown papers in Selby, Yorkshire, before moving through the ranks to become Product Manager in the Editorial Design Hub, leading a team working on print pages and graphics across the portfolio. He's now moving into the role of Digital Production Editor to help shape the future of graphics, video and podcast production.
Other names you’ll see regularly on NationalWorld include:
• Karen Roberts, based in Aberdeenshire, late news editor, specialising in crime, courts and the justice system
• Matt Brooks, based in Nottingham, SEO content editor, specialising in money and sport
• Claire Schofield, based in Leeds, early news editor, specialising in health, Covid and travel
• Richie Boon, based in Edinburgh, sports news editor
• Katrina Conaglen, based in Brighton, e-commerce editor, covering product reviews and deals
• Adam Gearing, based in Manchester, social media editor
• Alex Nelson, based in Norfolk, covering film and gaming
• Helen Johnson, based in Leeds, covering health and wellbeing
• Rhona Shennan, based in Edinburgh, covering digital culture
• Ethan Shone, based in Yorkshire, covering investigations, the 'levelling up agenda', industrial action, social issues and politics
• Matt Allan, based in Fife, covering motoring and transport
• Heather Carrick, based in Glasgow, covering global politics and breaking news
• Henry Sandercock, based in Edinburgh, covering consumer issues and food and drink
• Aimee Stanton, based in Edinburgh, covering data and investigations
• Rochelle Barrand, based in Sheffield, covering fashion and retail
• Alex Moreland, based in London, covering TV
• Steven Ross, based in Sheffield, covering TV and entertainment
• Jason Jones, based in Gateshead, covering sport
• Molly Burke, based in Leeds, covering sport
• Martyn Simpson, based in Glasgow, covering sport
• Craig Sinclair, a video producer based in Edinburgh
• Mark Wilson, a video producer based in Edinburgh
• Kelly Crichton, a podcast producer based in Edinburgh
• Mark Hall, a designer based in Yorkshire
• Kim Mogg, a designer based in Sheffield
• Hiyah Zaidi, based in Birmingham, covering news, diversity and representation
• Isabella Boneham, based in Coventry, covering news, social and environmental issues
• Susanna Sealy, based in Edinburgh, covering sports