Screen Babble podcast: Secret Invasion, The Great Train Robbery, Supernova, and Boston Legal – episode 31
In this week's episode of Screen Babble, Alex reviews Marvel's Secret Invasion, Steven revisits The Great Train Robbery, and Kelly reacts to Britain's Got Talent. Plus, our thoughts on Supernova and Boston Legal.
Screen Babble is your essential guide to everything on television, from the mainstream to the marginal. NationalWorld’s podcast producer Kelly Crichton, news and trends expert Steven Ross, and critic Alex Moreland discuss what is – and what isn’t – worth watching.
As ever, we begin by discussing what we’ve been watching recently. Steven has seen the Colin Firth/Stanley Tucci film Supernova recently and really loved it, while Alex has finished the first series of Halt and Catch Fire (excellent) and started watching Boston Legal (enjoyably all over the place). Kelly, meanwhile, has been catching up on the most recent series of Britain’s Got Talent, and recreates several acts at length, to everyone’s amusement.
Next up, Alex takes a closer look at the new Marvel series Secret Invasion. Samuel L. Jackson returns as spymaster Nick Fury, drawn back into the action when shape shifting aliens start plotting to take over the Earth. How does it compare to Marvel’s previous efforts like The Falcon and the Winter Soldier? Would it be better if the Avengers were in it? And does anyone realise how massively racist the whole thing is?
Finally, Steven brings us back to the future as he revisits 2013’s The Great Train Robbery. How does it compare to the likes of Chris Chibnall’s other series Broadchurch or Doctor Who? What makes it the perfect show to watch with Steven’s dad? And did the BBC arrange for Ronnie Biggs’ death on the day the show first aired as a marketing stunt?
Don’t forget to check back tomorrow for Steven’s Weekend Watch Mini-Babble, previewing all the best TV to watch over the next few days.
Listen to Screen Babble #31 here…
Where can we watch this week’s shows?
- Secret Invasion begins on Disney+ on Wednesday 21 June, with new episodes available each week
- Boston Legal is available on Disney+
- The Great Train Robbery is available on Britbox and Netflix
- Halt and Catch Fire is available on Channel 4 online
- Britain’s Got Talent is available on ITVX
Screen Babble: how to follow the show
- Screen Babble is available to download on all podcast platforms, including Apple and Spotify
- You can join the conversation on our Screen Babble Facebook group
- If you’ve enjoyed the show or found it useful, we’d love you to give us a rating and review, as it helps us to reach more listeners.
- You can also follow our TV coverage on Twitter @NationalWorldTV - as well as @morelandwriter and @steven_jross and @kelc100
- Do you have a TV question you’d like the Screen Babble team to answer on a future episode, or a recommendation of your own? Send it to [email protected] or [email protected]