If there is one dish Brits love, it’s a hearty serving of fish and chips.
Luckily, fish and chip restaurants and takeaways aren’t hard to come by in the UK, with thousands of outlets based all across the country to cater for those cravings.
Now the best of the best have been named in the latest Fry Awards for 2022.
Mystery diners sampled thousands of portions of fish and chips across the UK to crown the top 50 chippy takeaways and the top 10 fish and chip restaurants.
The judges visited venues unannounced and spent months sampling food, assessing the cleanliness of premises, quizzing staff’s knowledge and professionalism, and checking out business’s social media presence to crown the winners.
A total of 100 marks was up for grabs and the winning takeaways had to score 96% and above to win an award, while restaurants had to achieve 95% or over.
There is no overall winner as the top venues have been combined into a single list.
Reece Head, competition organiser, said: “We’re so pleased to announce this year’s winners.
“The awards recognise and celebrate the hard work, passion and dedication that these operators put into running their businesses.
"It has been a tough couple of years for the industry, in particular for restaurants that have had to deal with closures, but operators continued to adapt, motivate their workforce and invest in new equipment and systems that have seen them come out the other side stronger and in a better position.
“Our 50 best takeaway and 10 best restaurant winners really do represent the best in the business and they continue to showcase fish and chips as a high quality, value for money meal.”
Which are the best chippies in the UK?
The winners, listed in alphabetical order, for the best 50 fish and chip takeaways in the UK are:
- Alrewas Fryer, Burton-on-Trent, Staffordshire
- Auckley Friery, Doncaster, South Yorkshire
- Burnham Fish and Chips, Slough, Surrey
- Callaway’s Fish & Chips, Dorchester, Dorset
- East Coast, Musselburgh, East Lothian
- Catch Fish & Chips, Ashford, Kent
- Chips @ No.8, Prestwich, Greater Manchester
- Churchill’s Fish & Chips, Langney, Eastbourne
- Cods and Rockers, Tadley, Hampshire
- Croft Street Fisheries, Leeds, Yorkshire
- Davenport’s Fish & Chips, Louth, Lincolnshire
- David’s Fish & Chips, Brixham, Devon
- DJ’s Fish and Chips, Paignton, Devon
- Dunkeld Fish Bar, Dunkeld, Perthshire
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fiddlers Elbow Fish & Chips, Leintwardine, HerefordshireFish ’n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Fish Kitchen 1854, Maesycwmmer, Monmouthshire
- Fochabers Fish Bar, Fochabers, Moray
- Frydays of Kendal, Kendal, Cumbria
- Garioch Fish Bar, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire
- Greg & Lou’s, Redruth, Cornwall
- The Little Chippy, Tyldesley, Manchester
- Heavenly On The Go, Crosby, Cumbria
- Hikary’s Fish Bar, Neath, West Glamorgan
- Hiks, Brynhyfryd, Swansea
- Hill Top Village Fisheries, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
- Howe & Co Van 19, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 22, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
- Howe & Co Van 66, Granborough, Buckinghamshire
- Land & Sea, Sowerby, North Yorkshire
- Low’s Traditional Fish & Chips - Berryden, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire
- Marina Fish and Chips, Chapel St. Leonards, Lincolnshire
- Market Hill Fisheries, Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire
- Moore’s Fish & Chips, Castle Douglas, Dumfries and Galloway
- My Plaice Fish & Chips, Gorleston-on-Sea, Norfolk
- Port Chippy, Amlwch, Anglesey
- Priory Plaice Fish and Chips, Ulverston, Cumbria
- Shap Chippy Mobile, Appleby, Cumbria
- St John’s Fish Bar, Warwick, Warwickshire
- The Cafe Royal, Annan, Dumfries and Galloway
- The Chippie Van, Penrith, Cumbria
- The Chippy, Dartford, Kent
- The Codfather, Northwich, Cheshire
- The Esk Cafe, Longtown, Cumbria
- The Fish at Goose Green, Wigan, Greater Manchester
- The Fish Bank, Sherburn in Elmet, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- The Fish Works, Largs, North Ayrshire
- The Golden Fry, Benllech, Anglesey
- The Lincolnshire Fryer, Market Rasen, Lincolnshire
- The Oyster Shell, Bath, Somerset
- The Plaice To Be, Kilmarnock, East Ayrshire
- The Village Fish & Chips, Orpington, Kent
- Tony’s Fish and Chips, Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire
- Towngate Fisheries, Idle, West Yorkshire
- Yan’s Fish Bar, Cardiff
The winners, in alphabetical order, for the best 10 fish and chip restaurants in the UK are:
- Catch Fish and Chips West End, Glasgow
- Chipmongers, Portstewart, County Londonderry
- Eric’s Fish & Chips, King’s Lynn, Norfolk
- Fish City, Belfast
- Fisherman’s Bay, Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
- Fish ’n’ Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Harlees, Westbury, Wiltshire
- Port & Starboard, Indian Queens, Cornwall
- The Cod’s Scallops, Market Harborough, Leicestershire
- What The Fish, London
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.