The supermarket chain said the move will see 60 core fresh produce, meat and dairy products cut in price by the end of the month.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- Sainsbury’s has announced that 60 popular fresh produce, meat and dairy products will be made cheaper throughout July, with around 43 items initially being reduced on 7 July, with further products being reduced throughout the month
- The retailer said that these new reduced prices would remain in place “for the foreseeable”
- Customers can expect to make savings of up to 25 per cent on many items
- The £50 million price investment is the latest move in Sainsbury’s bid to offer better value for customers, following the launch of its Sainsbury’s Quality, Aldi Price Match commitment
- Key items that will see a reduction in price includes everyday essentials, like bacon, potatoes and herbs
What’s been said
Rhian Bartlett, Sainsbury’s Food Commercial Director, said: “Now more than ever we know we need to do more to deliver the great quality customers expect from Sainsbury’s, at great prices.
“It’s our mission to help everyone eat better and these price reductions are the latest step to show how serious we are about delivering on this promise to customers.
“Including everyday items and recipe essentials, we hope this will help shoppers save on their groceries and enjoy the month ahead.”
List of items included in the price reductions
Sainsbury’s says that these are examples of savings that customers can experience through July:
- Sainsbury's Thick Smoked Cut Back Bacon Rashers x6 300g, was £2.05, now £1.50
- Sainsbury's Brussels & Garlic Pate 170g, was £1.40, now £1
- Sainsbury's Rhubarb 400g, was £1.50, now 95p
- Sainsbury's Red Cabbage Loose, was 80p, now 45p
- Sainsbury's White Cabbage Loose, was 80p, now 45p
- Sainsbury's Sweet Potato 1.25k, was £1.50, now £1.11
- Sainsbury's Baking Potatoes 2.5kg, was £2, now £1.19
- Sainsbury's Red & White Seedless Grapes 500g, was £2, now £1.59
- Sainsbury's Strawberries 400g, was £1.75, now £1.59
- Sainsbury's Fresh Packed Mint 30g, was 75p, now 47p
These are just some of the products that will see a reduction in price, with more actually included.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.