Numerous websites have been affected by a major internet outage.
A multitude of websites, including banking pages, brokerages, and gaming services have been affected by the outage, with website owners and companies scrambling to resolve the problem.
At a glance: 5 key points
- Consumers have been left unable to access services including Ally Bank, Fidelity, Sony’s PlayStation Network and Airbnb
- Numerous airline sites are also having internet issues, including Delta and British Airways
- DownDetector reported a spike of over 40,000 users who are having issues with the PlayStation Network. The Steam store is also not currently functioning.
- Amazon, games including Call of Duty and streaming services such as HBO Max have become temporarily unavailable
- It’s not yet know what’s causing the outage but a fix is said to already be in the process of being rolled out
What’s been said
The New York Metro Transportation Authority and The Times of India tweeted that their service outages are due to Akamai.
However, Cloudflare’s CEO has said that its service isn’t to blame.
Sony’s PSN status page said: “PlayStation Network services are up and running, but there are external, internet-wide issues that might affect your experience.”