Tube strike: London Underground disruption today, which lines are affected - and why are they striking?
Night Tube lines are affected by the industrial action, as drivers stage a walkout over new rosters
and live on Freeview channel 276
The Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) said its members were solidly supporting the walkout, which will be followed by more action in the run up to Christmas.
Picket lines were mounted outside some Tube stations from early morning.
Here is everything you need to know about it.
Which lines are affected?
A 24-hour strike on Night Tube lines – Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria – started at 4.30am on Friday (26 November), with further walkouts planned in the coming weeks.
The strike affects the Central, Jubilee, Northern, Piccadilly and Victoria lines.
Transport for London (TfL) has warned of disruption to services and advised people to check before travelling.
Why are they striking?
The RMT says TfL has “ripped up” an agreement on Night Tube driving by changing rosters.
The union said their members are being asked to work both night shifts and day shifts after dedicated night staff were axed.
TfL said no jobs are being lost and the changes mean drivers would work around four Night Tube weekends a year.
RMT general secretary Mick Lynch said: “The Tube strike action this morning is rock solid in all depots and the widespread impact on services is solely down to management failure to recognise and address the anger of their staff at the imposition of damaging and unacceptable working practices.
“This action was wholly avoidable if LU bosses hadn’t attempted to bulldoze through arrangements that abolished the Night Tube driver grade, lumping everyone into a central pool where they can be shunted about at will in a drive to cut costs.
“Our members have spoken this morning and it’s time for London Underground to start listening.
Will there be more strikes?
Another strike will be held on Saturday (27 November) evening on the Central and Victoria lines, hitting plans to restart the Night Tube this weekend after it was suspended last year because of the pandemic.
“This is just the start of a programme of action,” said Lynch, “and the Mayor and his officials need to recognise our determination to defend progressive and family friendly working practices. We remain available for talks.”
Nick Dent, director of London Underground customer operations, said: “At such a pivotal time for the capital’s recovery, we are hugely disappointed that the RMT is threatening London with this unnecessary action.
“By making changes to Tube driver rosters we have provided greater flexibility for drivers as well as permanent work and job security, something welcomed by all other unions.”
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.