Amina-Faye Johnson: parents jailed after baby daughter died with more than 60 broken bones

Naomi Johnson and Benjamin O’Shea, were jailed after their eight-week-old baby died with more than 60 broken bones in her body.Naomi Johnson and Benjamin O’Shea, were jailed after their eight-week-old baby died with more than 60 broken bones in her body.
Naomi Johnson and Benjamin O’Shea, were jailed after their eight-week-old baby died with more than 60 broken bones in her body. | Met Police

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

Eight-week old Amina-Faye Johnson had 41 fractures to her ribs and 24 to her limbs when she died

A couple have been jailed after their eight-week-old baby died with more than 60 broken bones in her body.

During their police interviews, Naomi Johnson, 24, and Benjamin O’Shea, 26, claimed paramedics caused the fractures suffered by their daughter Amina-Faye – but they were found guilty by a jury of causing or allowing her to suffer serious physical harm.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Amina-Faye had 41 fractures to her ribs and 24 fractures to her limbs when she died in April 2019.

Judge Nigel Peters QC, sentencing at Inner London Crown Court, said that “sadly” this is “yet another harrowing case of parents abusing or being cruel to their child”, adding that “there is no doubt that this is a case of the highest seriousness in terms of cruelty to children in terms of the injuries”.

Medical experts found the injuries were non-accidental

Medics could not establish a cause of death of “this poor child” and it is not possible to lay blame on which parent caused the fatal injuries and who stood back and allowed it to happen, the court heard.

The judge added that “it is remarkable in this case” that there were no signs of any fractures but the medical experts had found that the injuries were non-accidental and force needed to be applied.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

O’Shea, 26, of Southwark, south-east London, was sentenced to eight-and-a-half-years for causing or allowing Amina-Faye to suffer serious physical harm while Johnson, 24, of Battersea, south west London, was jailed for seven years for this offence.

Both of them were also each given two months, to be served consecutively, after being found guilty of cruelty to a person under-16 in relation to a separate child.

X-rays showed catalogue of wounds

Amina-Faye suffered “deliberate, vicious injuries”, with the worst to her right thigh bone which could “only have been caused by a brutal attack”, the court was told.

The femur is not easy to break and “significant force was used to fracture it”, meaning “the baby would have been in great pain,” the judge said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Johnson and O’Shea called 999 on the morning of April 26 2019 after Amina-Faye stopped breathing.

Despite paramedics arriving within minutes, she died at the scene.

The Metropolitan Police said there were no visible signs of injury and Amina-Faye was originally thought to have suffered a sudden unexplained death – before X-rays showed she had suffered a catalogue of wounds.

The multiple breaks found by radiologists were highly indicative of prolonged and repeated physical abuse, the force said.

Some were recent and others had started to heal.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A special post-mortem examination was carried out, but no cause of death was established.

A medical expert concluded the baby’s limb bone fractures had been caused on at least seven occasions, while her rib fractures had been sustained in at least two incidents.

The spread of injuries meant they could not have been caused accidentally and there was also evidence of past bleeding inside Amina-Faye’s head, the court heard.

Johnson called 111 to say baby had been coughing blood

O’Shea made numerous calls to the NHS 111 medical helpline between 2016 and 2019 about his self-diagnosed post-traumatic stress disorder and aggression issues, detectives discovered.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Johnson made a call to NHS 111 on April 1 2019 and said Amina-Faye had been coughing blood.

A doctor called back and told O’Shea the baby should be taken to hospital, though she was not, police said.

The relationship between Johnson and O’Shea, who met when she was 15 and he was 18 or 19 and have now split up, was described by the judge as “fractious” and “tempestuous”.

It was clear in court there was still a “temper between the two of them”, the judge said.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

He said O’Shea – a former Army reservist – spun a web of lies about his background, work and career to suggest he was suffering after serving in Afghanistan, though it “was all completely untrue.”

Prosecutor Emma Smith said Amina-Faye must have endured “very significant pain and discomfort” amid the “toxic atmosphere” where she lived.

There was a disregard for her welfare and steps were not taken to ensure she was safe and well, she said.

Amina-Faye’s case was described as “truly heartbreaking” by Detective Inspector Melanie Pressley, who led the investigation.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

After sentencing, she said: “In eight weeks of life, Amina suffered an unimaginable number of injuries.

“The trauma she endured in her short life is impossible to comprehend. Her injuries are a catalogue of the most despicable abuse.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.