Minke whale which became stranded in the River Thames to be ‘put to sleep’ by rescuers

The once hopeful tale of a minke whale stranded in the River Thames has come to a sad end

The Minke whale, between three to four metres long, was freed on Sunday after it became stuck on Richmond lock's boat rollers, but will now be put to sleep (Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire/PA Images)

A young minke whale that became stranded in the River Thames has been put down.

Crowds gathered at Teddington Lock in south-west London on Monday (10 May) to catch a glimpse of a minke whale thought to be between three and four metres long and stranded along the River Thames.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

But the whale is now due to be put to sleep as it would not survive on its own in the sea, Julia Cable, national co-ordinator at the British Divers Marine Life Rescue service, said.

Members of the RNLI attempt to assist the Minke whale at Teddington lock (Photo: Yui Mok/PA Wire/PA Images)

“The vets are here from London Zoo… they will give the whale a large anaesthetic dose which will put it to sleep,” Cable said. “The whale shouldn’t feel anything.”

Read More

Read More
Thames whale: how did a minke calf get stuck at Richmond Lock part of London riv...

She added: “It’s always sad, but we now know that putting it back out into the open sea would have been sending it to starve out there.”

Cable said the whale was either still “maternally dependent” or recently weaned, based on its size: “It will be socially dependent, so to be on its own something has happened.

“It has been separated from either its mother or a group,” she added. “It’s in a nutritionally poor state, it’s also got injuries from stranding.

“We know it was stranded for five or seven hours yesterday, so all the time that happens the organs can get damaged as well.”

‘It’s not common’

Hundreds of people gathered at Richmond Lock and Weir on Sunday after the animal became stuck on the lock’s boat rollers.

Videos showed it being hosed down by a man believed to be from the Port of London Authority (PLA), while a vet performed a check-up at the river’s edge, before the Royal National Lifeboat Institute (RNLI) arrived at the scene to the cheers of onlookers at about 9pm.

The whale was found to be in poor health and was put on pontoons to make it more comfortable on Sunday night as it was decided then that it should be put to sleep.

But it managed to get free and back into the river.

Cable said whales tend to appear in the Thames every year, although live strandings were rare.

She said: “We started off with beluga, then there was a humpback and then there was another minke, then a fin whale turned up. But this is the first in recent years of a live stranding. It’s not common and hopefully we won’t see it again for a while.”

Minke whales are the smallest of the great whales, growing to about 10 metres.

They can usually be found throughout the northern Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Their range extends from the ice edge in the Arctic during the summer to near the equator during winter.

‘It managed to get free of the pontoons’

Dan Jarvis, welfare development and field support officer at the British Divers Marine Life Rescue service, said rescuers were working in conjunction with the Cetacean Strandings Investigation Programme (CSIP) which carries out post-mortem examinations.

He said they are likely to need help from the Port of London Authority to make arrangements for the removal of the whale.

Jarvis said it would be a long journey for the stranded whale to make it back to the open sea, around 30 miles, and logistically a big task.

He said the whale was put on pontoons to make it more comfortable on Sunday night as it was decided then that it should be put to sleep.

“It actually managed to get free of the pontoons unfortunately and back into the river,” he said.

The whale was spotted near Teddington Lock just after 10.20am on Monday, heading downstream towards Chiswick and back towards Richmond Lock and Weir.

Pictures showed passers-by and photographers lining the river on Monday afternoon, with the whale clearly visible in the water.

Additional reporting by Press Association

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.