A man arrested over a deadly bow and arrow attaack in Norway had coverted to Islam and shown signs of radicalisation.
Five people have been killed and two more injured in the attack in Norway.
Police were in contact with the 37-year-old man last year over their concerns.
The attack took place in the town of Kongsberg, south-west of the capital of Oslo, at 6:30pm local time.
Among the seriously injured was an off duty police officer who was shopping at the time. Both the injured remain in intensive care.
At a glance: 5 key points
- A man charged after five people were shot dead and two others were injured in a series of bow and arrow attacks in Norway, had shown signs of radicalisation and had converted to Islam.
- The incidents took place in the town of Kongsberg - located 51 miles southwest of the capital city, Oslo.
- Police will investigate whether it was an act of terrorism, and believe the Danish man, aged 37, acted alone. Norwegian broadcaster NRK reported that the suspect cooperated with police and gave detailed information to officers about what had happened, according to his lawyer.
- Among the injured was an off-duty police officer who was inside the shop where the attack took place, police said. Both the injured are in intensive care.
- The incident is the worst death toll of any attack in Norway since 2011m when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people.
What’s been said?
Prime Minister Erna Solberg said reports of the incident had been "horrifying".
"I understand that many people are afraid, but it’s important to emphasise that the police are now in control," she told a news conference.
Police chief Oeyvind Aas told a news conference: "A man was apprehended at 6.47pm. From the information we have at the moment, one person committed this act alone."
"It is natural to consider whether it is an act of terrorism," he said, but it is "too early to come to any conclusion".
Richard Wood, the UK’s ambassador to Norway, tweeted from his official account: “Police confirming that five people have been killed in #Kongsberg and several injured including a policeman. A shocking incident. Sincere condolences to those affected.”
One witness told local outlet TV2 she had heard a commotion and seen a woman taking cover, then a "man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand".
"Afterwards, I saw people running for their lives. One of them was a woman holding a child by the hand," she added.
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.