People around the world will celebrate the arrival of 2022 as they also say goodbye to 2021.
Many take the opportunity to look towards the new year with an optimistic glass half full outlook, while others may chose to wave goodbye to the previous 12 months with a twang of humour.
So whether you are looking to toast the new year, for a witty Instagram caption or just a few musings to look forward to the future, here are some of the best quotes to celebrate the new year with.
1. “Cheers to a new year and another chance for us to get it right.”
- Oprah Winfrey
2. “For last year’s words belong to last year’s language, and next year’s words await another voice.”
- T.S. Eliot
3. “Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.”
- Mark Twain
4. “Ring out the old, ring in the new,
Ring, happy bells, across the snow:
The year is going, let him go;
Ring out the false, ring in the true.”
- Alfred Lord Tennyson
5. "An optimist stays up until midnight to see the New Year in. A pessimist stays up to make sure the old year leaves.”
- Bill Vaughn
6. “I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes. Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You’re doing things you’ve never done before, and more importantly, you’re doing something.”
- Neil Gaiman
7. “Tomorrow is the first blank page of a 365-page book. Write a good one.”
- Brad Paisley
8. “A new year. A fresh, clean start! It’s like having a big white sheet of paper to draw on! A day full of possibilities!”
- Bill Watterson
9. “You can get excited about the future. The past won’t mind.”
- Hillary DePiano
10. “There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
- C.S. Lewis.
11. “The bad news is time flies. The good news is you’re the pilot.”
- Michael Altshuler
12. “Good resolutions are simply checks that men draw on a bank where they have no account.”
- Oscar Wilde
13. “It is never too late to be what you might have been.”
- George Eliot
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.