Stranded bride crying at roadside rescued by police after car broke down on the way to her wedding

Lydia and Tidur’s wedding had already been cancelled twice due to Covid

Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

A stranded bride had to be rescued by police after the vehicle she was travelling in to her wedding broke down on a busy dual carriageway.

Lydia Evans-Hughes, 29, was given a lift to the church by a kind-hearted police officer after the vintage car came to a halt.

She had been on her way to the venue with her parents Yvette and Alan Fletcher when the incident happened.

However, the bride’s blushes were spared when traffic officers arrived at the scene and Inspector Matt Geddes made sure she got to the church on time.

We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below

‘It just gave up the ghost’

Lydia and partner Tidur Evans-Hughes, 31, were then able to say ‘I do’ in front of family and friends at St Mary’s Church in Eccleston, Cheshire.

Lydia, of Wrexham, North Wales, said: "I was staying at the reception venue the night before.

"But when the car pulled off from there it was fine for the first five miles – then it just gave up the ghost.

"I was worried I’d have to climb over the crash barrier and be left standing at the side of the road.

"They saw it was a wedding car and offered us a lift. That was the first time that day that I had tears of relief."

Bride blue-lighted to wedding venue

The bride’s transport had left Soughton Hall, near Mold, Flintshire, and was travelling down the A55, near Chester, to the church when it broke down.

Insp Geddes then arrived to give the bridal party a lift and put on his blues and twos to make a more spectacular entrance.

Lydia added: "He asked how much of an entrance we wanted to make and my dad said a big one so he put on the blues and twos.

"Because of how fast it all happened and how promptly they turned up I wasn’t very late at all – you couldn’t have planned it better.

"I’m just incredibly happy. All in all it did go brilliantly."

Wedding delayed twice due to Covid

The happy couple had already had their wedding delayed twice due to the Covid pandemic and were hoping it would be third time lucky.

Lydia added: "We were due to get married in June last year but it was delayed because of Covid, then in May this year but that got pushed back too.

"The fact we were finally able to have our day and everyone was able to be there is just priceless. It was such a lovely ending.

"The most incredible and sincere thanks to the police. Without them what would we have done?"

Insp Geddes, of North Wales Police, said: “I was glad to have been of help.

"The slightly unusual arrival brought about some smiles following what must have been a stressful situation, being stuck at the side of a busy A55 is not nice at the best of times.

"The bride looked beautiful, the sun was shining and she was only a little late. I hope the couple have a wonderful day and a long and happy life together.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.