Furlough scheme: Chancellor Rishi Sunak ‘rules out extension’ despite likely delay to June 21 lockdown lifting

The Chancellor will continue with the winding down of the wage support scheme from the start of next month, according to a report.

Rishi Sunak has ruled out extending the furlough scheme despite pleas from businesses, according to a report.

The Chancellor will continue to wind down the wage support scheme from the start of next month, even though the Prime Minister looks set to delay the expected end of lockdown in England by a month.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below

Chancellor Rishi Sunak will continue with the winding down of the wage support scheme from the start of next month (Getty Images)

At a glance: 5 key points

- Earlier this year, Mr Sunak announced that the Treasury would stop subsidising 80% of the salaries of people not at work.

- From the start of July, the government’s contribution will drop to 70% - with 10% being paid by the employer - as part of a staged withdrawal from the scheme which is set to end in September.

- The British Chamber of Commerce urged the Chancellor to delay the winding down of the scheme.

- However, sources told The Daily Mail that the timetable for ending the scheme would remain the same.

- They added that the Treasury had already ‘gone long’ in case there was a delay to lockdown lifting.

Read More

Read More
Part-time workers could be left behind with half being furloughed or having thei...

What’s been said

“There is no doubt that any extension to the restrictions will be challenging for sectors yet to open and those still trading at a loss to navigate.”

UKHospitality chief executive Kate Nicholls

Background

The Job Retention Scheme - otherwise known as furlough - has saved millions of jobs during the pandemic.

Since the country was plunged into the first national lockdown in March 2020, the government has paid workers using the Job Retention Scheme up to £2,500 a month.

The programme was scheduled to finish at the end of June 2020, before being extended another five times.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.