Four people have lost their lives in a house fire in the south east London borough of Bexley.
Two young children and two women were killed in the blaze on Hamilton Road - a quiet residential street in Bexleyheath.
Emergency services are now conducting an investigation into how the fire started.
So what’s the latest on the causes of the blaze and who were the victims?
When did the Bexleyheath house fire happen?
The London Fire Brigade (LFB) was called to the scene of the fire at 8.30pm on Thursday (18 November).
In a statement, the LFB said six fire engines and around 40 firefighters were summoned to the blaze.
The incident was officially declared over at 9.45pm.
Who were the victims?
Emergency crews have not yet named the victims.
However, we know two children and two women were declared dead at the scene after firefighters wearing breathing apparatus found them on the first floor of the property.
Their next of kin have been informed of their deaths.
According to the Metropolitan Police, the children were an infant girl and boy.
All four victims are believed to have been related.
A neighbour, Scott James, told the Press Association he believed the youngest victims were a toddler and a boy aged five or six-years-old.
He said the family had only moved into the home five months previously after it had been renovated.
“I saw them yesterday and waved at them,” he said.
“I spoke to them just to say hello. It was just pleasantries. It is very sad to wake up this morning and hear they have perished.”
A man had managed to leave the building before firefighters arrived at the scene and was said by the LFB to have been taken to hospital.
Mr James described the man as being “distraught” after his escape from the blaze.
The Met Police said the man had sustained leg injuries and that his condition was not thought to be life-threatening.
What caused the house fire?
An investigation has been opened into the cause of the house fire.
The Met said it is treating the cause of the fire as not suspicious and that no arrests have been made.
“We currently have specialist investigating officers from our fire investigation teams on the scene,” LFB deputy assistant commissioner for the South East, Matt Cook, told a press conference.
“We are working closely with the Metropolitan Police service and local specialist investigators to try to understand the causation of this incident.”
Half of the ground floor and the whole of the first floor of the property have been gutted by the fire, the LFB has said.
“This is a truly terrible incident which is both sad and shocking,” said London Fire Commissioner Andy Roe.
“Our thoughts are with the family, friends and local community at this difficult time.”
Mr James said that the house had been “quickly engulfed in flames”.
“I got overwhelmed by smoke and then the whole house was engulfed,” he said.
“The downstairs was on fire and then the whole house went up. It was engulfed in flames. There wasn’t an explosion.”
Mayor of London Sadiq Khan also gave his condolences in a statement.
“I am heartbroken to hear that two women and two children have tragically lost their lives in a house fire in Bexley last night,” he said.
“My heart goes out to all their loved ones and the local community at this awful time.
“The London Fire Brigade worked tirelessly at the scene to put out the fire and I remain in close contact with them over their urgent investigation into this terrible incident.”
Additional reporting by PA
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.