Around 100 members of staff at Clarence House have been given notice of redundancy after the King ascended to the throne.
The staff, who worked for the former Prince and the Duchess of Cornwall, were notifed of the decision during the memorial service held for the Queen at St Giles’ Cathedral in Edinburgh on Monday 12 September, according to The Guardian.
It comes as the new King and Queen Consort prepare to move offices to Buckingham Palace. It has not yet been confirmed they will move into Buckingham Palace in a residential capacity.
Clarence House has been the official residence of King Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall since 2003.
What were Clarence House staff told?
Staff, some of whom have worked at Clarence House for deacdes, are said to have received a letter from Sir Clive Alderton, the King’s top aide.
Those told that their jobs may be in peril include household staff, the communications team, private secretaries and the finance office.
In a letter, Sir Clive told staff: “The change in role for our principals will also mean change for our household.
“The portfolio of work previously undertaken in this household supporting the former Prince of Wales’s personal interests, former activities and household operations will no longer be carried out, and the household … at Clarence House will be closed down.
“It is therefore expected that the need for the posts principally based at Clarence House, whose work supports these areas will no longer be needed.”
One source told The Guardian that those informed were “livid” at the news, with many assuming that they would be amalgamated into the new household at Buckingham Palace.
They said: “Everybody is absolutely livid, including private secretaries and the senior team. All the staff have been working late every night since Thursday, to be met with this. People were visibly shaken by it.”
What has Clarence House said about the situation?
A Clarence House spokesman said: “Following last week’s accession, the operations of the household of the former Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall have ceased and, as required by law, a consultation process has begun.
“Our staff have given long and loyal service and, while some redundancies will be unavoidable, we are working urgently to identify alternative roles for the greatest number of staff.”
It is believed that staff who are made redundant will be offered the chance to apply for positions in all royal households. Clarance House will also provide assistance in finding work outside the royal households, and staff will be given an “enhanced” redundancy package.
Staff providing “direct, close, personal support and advice” to the King and the Queen Consort are said to remain in their position.
As of yet, no final decision have been made regarding the redundancies, with the consultation period due to begin after the Queen’s funeral on Monday 19 September.