Manchester United footballer Mason Greenwood has been released on bail pending further investigation.
The 20-year-old was arrested on Sunday (30 January) after images and videos were posted online.
The footballer was questioned over the alleged rape and assault of a young woman.
He was still in custody on Tuesday (1 February) when he was further arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and threats to kill.
What Greater Manchester Police said
Greater Manchester Police have not named the footballer, but said: “A 20-year-old man arrested on Sunday January 30 2022 on suspicion of the rape and assault of a woman has been released on bail pending further investigation.”
What Manchester United said about Mason Greenwood’s arrest
Within hours of the allegations appearing on Sunday morning, the footballer was suspended from playing or training with the club until further notice.
In a statement, Manchester United said it “reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind”.
The club also said: “As previously communicated, Mason Greenwood will not train with, or play for, the club until further notice.”
Nike suspends deal with Mason Greenwood
Nike has suspended its deal with Greenwood and Electronic Arts has confirmed his removal from active squads on FIFA 22.
In a statement to the PA news agency, the video game company said: “Mason Greenwood has been removed from active squads in FIFA 22 and has also been suspended from appearing in FIFA Ultimate Team (FUT) packs and Ultimate Draft.”
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.