Loading...

Prince Harry: why he thinks ‘Megxit’ is a misogynistic term aimed at wife Meghan Markle

The Duke of Sussex has pleaded with people to stop using the term "Megxit"

Prince Harry has said that the word "Megxit" is misogynistic and pleaded with people to stop using the phrase.

The Duke of Sussex was speaking during an appearance on a Re:Wired panel discussing misinformation.

Sign up to our NationalWorld Today newsletter

He also revealed that he warned Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey that his platform was allowing a coup to be staged against the US a day before the January 6 riots.

Who invented the term ‘Megxit’

Megxit – a word used to describe the couple’s departure from royal duties – is a “misogynistic term” that was created by an online troll before it entered mainstream usage, the Duke of Sussex said.

Why Prince Harry thinks the word ‘Megxit’ is misogynistic

Harry and Meghan

Harry said the internet is "being defined by hate, division and lies" and that the term "Megxit" should be avoided.

The Duke of Sussex said that the term has been used by the British press to describe Harry and Meghan’s decision to step away from royal life and their move to California.

The 37-year-old said: "70 per cent of the hate speech about my wife on Twitter can be traced to fewer than 50 accounts."

Regarding the origin of "Megxit" and the lies on social media, he added: "When that same lie is given credibility by journalists or publishers, it’s unethical and as far as I’m concerned an abuse of power".

Why did Harry and Meghan move to the US?

Harry and Meghan moved to California in March 2020 to lead a more independent life. Harry has said that part of the reason for leaving the UK was the racist treatment of Meghan by the British media.

Acknowledging comments he made in a mental health series he appeared in earlier this year, he said in a reference to Meghan "they won’t stop until she’s dead.”

Both Harry and Meghan have campaigned against social media negativity as they say it’s affecting people’s health.

He used the panel to comment on the media coverage he has endured in his life and the issues of misinformation, saying "the scale of misinformation is now terrifying."

He added the media "don’t report the news, they create it and they’ve successfully turned fact-based news into opinion-based gossip with devastating consequences for the country.

“So I know the story all too well. I lost my mother to this self-manufactured rabidness and obviously, I’m determined not to lose the mother to my children to the same thing.”

What did Prince Harry say about Twitter and the US Capitol riots?

Riot police push back a crowd of Trump supporters after they stormed the Capitol building in Washington, DC (Picture: Roberto Schmidt/AFP via Getty Images)

When asked whether he had spoken to either Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg or Twitter CEO Dorsey, Harry said he warned the latter his website was facilitating a coup on the eve of the January 6 riots at the US Capitol.

He said: “Jack and I were emailing each other prior to January 6 when I warned him his platform was allowing a coup to be staged. That email was sent the day before.

“And then it happened and I haven’t heard from him since.”

A group of Donald Trump supporters stormed the US Capitol building in Washington DC over claims the presidential election was rigged – and the role social media giants played in enabling the attack is being investigated.

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.