Legendary actor Sidney Poitier has died aged 94 - here are some of his best quote from his extraordinary career. (Credit: Getty)
Sidney Poitier is recognisable as one of the most groundbreaking Hollywood actors the industry has ever seen.
During his impressive career, Sidney became the first black actor to be awarded with the Academy Award for Best Actor, for his role in Lilies of the Field in 1964.
His prominence grew, with audiences celebrating the actor in roles in films such as In the Heat Of The Night, Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner and To Sir, With Love.
With the announcement of his death at the age of 94, we take a look back at some of his best quotes from his remarkable career and life.
1. “If I’m remembered for having done a few good things, and if my presence here has sparked some good energies, that’s plenty.”
2. “History passes the final judgment.”
3. “I never had an occasion to question color, therefore, I only saw myself as what I was... a human being.”
4. “I have always been a learner because I knew nothing.”
5. “I was the only black person on the set. It was unusual for me to be in a circumstance in which every move I made was tantamount to representation of 18 million people.”
6. “Acting isn’t a game of "pretend." It’s an exercise in being real.”
7. “You don’t have to become something you’re not to be better than you were.”
8. “So much of life, it seems, is determined by pure randomness.”
9. "I was a pretty good actor and I believed in brotherhood. I hated racism and segregation. And I was a symbol against those things."
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.