Loading...

Euro 2020 final: fan disorder nearly led to deaths - and England win would have been ‘horrific’, review finds

The report said that 6,000 ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs were preparing to storm Wembley

An England win in the Euro 2020 final at Wembley could have had “horrific” consequences and there were a number of “near-misses” before the game which could have resulted in deaths, a review into the disorder has found.

The report into the chaos that unfolded around the match on July 11, which was led by Baroness Casey of Blackstock, said that 6,000 ticketless, drunken and drugged-up thugs were preparing to storm the stadium.

Sign up to our World of Sport newsletter

At a glance: 5 key points

  • The review said there had been a collective failure by all the organisations involved in planning for the final to prepare for the worst-case scenario.
  • Around 2,000 ticketless individuals were found to have gained entry to Wembley, with 400 of those ejected.
  • However, the situation could have been made much worse by an England victory, multiple contributors to the review said.
  • A ticketless group of 6,000 were believed to be preparing to storm the stadium as legitimate ticket-holders were trying to leave.
  • An FA official recalled individuals being stood like “zombies”, not even watching the game on their phones, waiting to get in.

What’s been said

An official from the London emergency services said the consequences of an England win would have been “horrific”, and that a major incident would have been declared at Wembley and in central London.

The official added: “I can guarantee that we would have been on our knees.”

An official from the Sports Grounds Safety Authority told the review: “Thank God England lost.

“If they had won you would have to open the doors to let people out and the stadium would have been stormed.”

All agencies responsible for staging the final had been caught off-guard, the review found, with police deployed too late.

“I am clear that we were close to fatalities and/or life-changing injuries for some, potentially many, in attendance,” Baroness Casey concluded.

“That this should happen anywhere in 21st century Britain is a source of concern. That it should happen at our national stadium, and on the day of our biggest game of football for 55 years is a source of national shame.”

What else the report said on Euro 2020 disorder

Ticketless individuals were found to have gained entry by tailgating or involvement in one of 17 mass breaches of disabled access gates and emergency fire doors identified by the review, which “jeopardised the lives of legitimate supporters and staff”.

The breaches stretched from 90 minutes before kick-off up to the penalty shoot-out, the review found, with disabled supporters particularly affected.

One individual even impersonated a steward and hijacked a disabled child in a wheelchair, separating him from his father in an attempt to gain entry to the stadium.

The review found the easing of Covid-19 restrictions, along with England’s first appearance in a major final since 1966, had created a “perfect storm”.

It said the absence of a fan zone contributed to the chaos and would have acted as “a much-needed pressure valve”. The review found the Metropolitan Police made repeated requests to the Government for such a zone to be set up.

Witnesses to the review said as well as alcohol, cocaine use was widespread and the drug was being taken “in plain sight”.

What recommendations have been made

Baroness Casey made five general recommendations. The first called on the Government to consider a new category for matches of national significance, with enhanced security measures and stricter measures around the sale and consumption of alcohol.

It called for a review of stewarding, and for who is accountable in ‘Zone Ex’, the area immediately around the stadium, tougher penalties for individuals found guilty of involvement in football-related disorder and an FA campaign to bring about a “sea change” in attitudes among supporters.

What the FA said about the fan disorder

FA chief executive Mark Bullingham said his organisation fully accepted the findings and he apologised for the “terrible experience” many suffered within Wembley.

“The review makes clear that the circumstances leading up to the match led to a perfect storm of lawlessness. No event is set up to deal with such disgraceful behaviour from thousands of ticketless fans. Collectively we must never allow this to happen again.

“Baroness Casey is clear that moving forwards, where there is an event of national significance, we and all agencies must view it through a different lens.

“I would like to thank everyone who worked at the match that day. Many people went well above and beyond their roles and performed their duties with courage and determination. This was often at personal risk to themselves.

“The lessons learned from this Review will ensure that fans have a good experience at major international events at Wembley, as they have for many years.”

A message from the editor:

Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.