Celtic are also investigating claims that Griffiths sent inappropriate messages to a 15-year-old girl on social media.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- Griffiths has been sent home from Celtic’s pre-season training camp in Newport amid investigations of inappropriate online behaviour
- It is understood that the allegations are regarding messages sent by the 30 year old Scottish striker to a girl under the age of 16
- Griffiths signed a one year contract extension with Celtic last week, after his previous contract expired on 1 July
- The footballer joined Celtic in 2014, having previously played with Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Griffiths was not included in the Scotland squad for the Euro 2020 finals
What’s been said
A Police Scotland spokesman said: “We have been made aware of social media content. We are making inquiries and assessing for criminality.”
A Celtic spokesperson told several media outlets: “We have been made aware of online comments concerning Leigh Griffiths. The club will now look into this matter carefully.
“Leigh has left the training camp as we do this.
“It would not be appropriate to make any further comment at this time.”
Griffiths is a Scottish professional footballer who plays as a striker for Celtic and the Scotland national team.
He made his debut at Livingston at 16 years old, and in 2009 was moved to Dundee.
It was in 2011 that Griffiths was then moved to the Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Additional reporting by PA
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.