Benjamin Mendy trial: woman told police of alleged rape by footballer saying he tried to ‘debate’ her into sex

Man City footballer Benjamin Mendy is on trial accused of rape and sexual assault charges

A woman who accused Benjamin Mendy of rape said he tried to “debate” her into having sex and it was “like arguing with a brick wall”, a court has been told.

An interview the woman gave to police was played to jurors where she said despite giving him “every excuse”, she had to “give in”.

While CCTV footage from inside a club on the day of the alleged rape, played to a jury at Chester Crown Court on Wednesday, showed the woman dancing against the Manchester City left-back.

Another clip, from the same night, showed the woman putting her hand on the 28-year-old’s neck as they appeared to exchange words on the dance floor.

Co-accused Louis Saha Matturie, 41, denies eight counts of rape and four counts of sexual assault relating to eight young women.

Both men say that if any sex did take place it was consensual.

Benjamin Mendy is on trial accused of rape and sexual assault.

What was said in court?

In a police interview played to the court, the woman said he tried to “debate” her into having sex and, despite giving him “every excuse”, had to “give in”.

She did not report the rape to police until being contacted by officers after other allegations surfaced because “it was like one word against another” and that she was “really scared”, adding: “these people have power whether you like it or not”, the court heard.

Recalling the alleged incident in July 2021 a recorded police interview, which was played to a jury, she said she had been invited to Mendy’s home in Mottram St Andrew, Cheshire, where people were drinking and playing games.

But as she was about to leave he took her into the cinema room at the house alone where they talked and began kissing before he pulled his underwear down.

She said: “I was just like ‘I don’t want to do anything, I don’t know you’.

“He said ‘it’s small, don’t worry’ and all this.”

“It didn’t faze him, it’s like nothing I said got through to him and it’s like arguing with a brick wall.”

The woman explained to the court how she didn’t know other guests at the party well and didn’t feel she could just walk away.

She said “I ended up having to like give in. There was nothing more I could do.”

“Within 20 seconds it was over.”

What was said about CCTV footage from the club?

Eleanor Laws QC, representing Mendy, questioned the woman over the footage and suggested she was “physically comfortable” with him despite the alleged attack.

She responded: “I would not say that I was physically comfortable in his company, I had just not processed everything that had happened.

“I was very drunk and I was just doing what everyone else was doing – I was acting like nothing had happened.”

Ms Laws QC continued: “Nobody in that club would suggest to you that you had to rub your bottom and dance towards someone you didn’t want to.”

“No”, the woman responded.

She later explained: “I was dancing with everyone, everyone was dancing with everyone.”

The court saw a further clip, which appeared to show the woman approaching Mendy and talking to him as he left the club.

Jurors were told she went back to the footballer’s home two days later after being invited by another man – though Mendy was not there.

Ms Laws QC said: “You would not want to go anywhere near there after what happened.”

The woman replied: “Not on my own, no.”

The trial continues.