A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after petrol station staff were forced to hide from a knifeman in a safe room.
Armed officers and a negotiator were called to an Esso station in Hengrove Way, Bristol, shortly after 7.30am.
We want to hear from you: let us know what you think about this story and be part of the debate in our comments section below
At a glance: 5 key points
- Police were on the scene within five minutes and after two hours of negotiations, a man in his 50s was arrested.
- A man in his 20s was being treated for non-life threatening knife wounds after leaving the scene and taking himself to hospital.
- Members of staff at the forecourt, which had a Morrisons Daily shop inside, were uninjured after remaining in a safe room and in contact with police throughout.
- There was a large police presence at the scene.
- Around half a dozen loud noises – sounding like fireworks – could be heard before a man was led away in handcuffs by police.
What’s been said:
“Officers were called to a petrol station in Hengrove, Bristol, this morning, Thursday 9 September, after a report of a man armed with a knife at the location. After two hours of negotiations, officers safely detained a man.
“People in the area may have heard a number of bangs which came from police distraction devices being deployed and a baton round that was discharged.
“These were minimal force options and presented the least risk to the public, the suspect and officers in bringing the situation to a safe conclusion.
“Members of staff on site were uninjured having remained in a safe room and in contact with officers.”
Avon and Somerset Police
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going.