Princess Anne update: Royal suffers concussion and head injuries after horse kick and spends another night in Southmead hospital, Bristol

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Princess Anne has spent another night in hospital as she recovers after being kicked by a horse

The Princess Royal is thought to have suffered minor head injuries and concussion when it is believed she was kicked by a horse on her Gatcombe Park estate.

Anne, a skilled horsewoman who competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympics, was walking on her Gloucestershire estate on Sunday evening when she was injured.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

An air ambulance and emergency services were sent to the estate and, after being treated at the scene, the princess was transferred to Southmead Hospital in Bristol by road for tests, treatment and observation.

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak and Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer broke away from election campaigning to send the princess their best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Buckingham Palace said in a statement on Monday: “The Princess Royal has sustained minor injuries and concussion following an incident on the Gatcombe Park estate yesterday evening. Her Royal Highness remains in Southmead Hospital, Bristol, as a precautionary measure for observation and is expected to make a full and swift recovery.

“The King has been kept closely informed and joins the whole royal family in sending his fondest love and well-wishes to the princess for a speedy recovery.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

The 73-year-old princess is understood to be awake but, due to her concussion, precise details of the incident cannot be ascertained at this stage.

Although the exact cause of the injuries is unconfirmed, Anne’s medical team have said her head injuries are consistent with a potential impact from a horse’s head or legs.

It is understood the princess was walking within the protected perimeter of Gatcombe Park estate when the incident occurred, and no other individual is believed to have been involved. Her husband, Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence, who was on the estate at the time, went with her to hospital.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Her Royal Highness is recovering well, is in a comfortable condition and is being kept in hospital as a precautionary measure for further observation. Her Royal Highness is receiving appropriate expert care. No further details are being shared at this stage. Her Royal Highness will remain in Southmead Hospital unless or until her medical team advise otherwise.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Anne’s daughter, Zara Tindall, and son, Peter Phillips, were also on the estate at the time, but it is not known who raised the alarm.

The princess’s injury is the latest health upset to the hit the royal family this year, with both the King and the Princess of Wales diagnosed with and undergoing treatment for cancer, and Sarah, Duchess of York, having skin cancer.

Anne will now miss several engagements this week, including the state banquet for the Japanese State Visit on Tuesday and an overseas tour to Canada, which was due to start this weekend.

A Palace spokesman said: “On doctors’ advice, Her Royal Highness’s engagements for the week ahead will be postponed. Her Royal Highness sends her apologies to any who may be inconvenienced or disappointed as a result. The Japanese State Visit will go ahead as planned, though sadly Her Royal Highness will be unable to attend the State banquet tomorrow.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Anne is a key member of the King’s slimmed-down working monarchy, and has played an important role as she stepped up in support of Charles amid his condition. The princess, often dubbed the hardest-working royal, is known for her no-nonsense approach and her commitment to royal duty.

At Trooping the Colour earlier this month, she was pictured expertly keeping her horse under control when it appeared agitated. Anne won the individual championship at Burghley in 1971, and was voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year.

In 1976, she took part in the Montreal Olympics as a three-day eventer with the British equestrian team. The princess survived an attempted kidnapping in 1974 when a gunman tried to abduct her and then-husband Captain Mark Phillips as they were driven along The Mall to Buckingham Palace.

She kept her cool, and when the gunman, Ian Ball, told her to “Come with me for a day or two” because he wanted £2 million, she replied it was not “bloody likely, and I haven’t got £2 million”.

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.