There is possibly no greater honour in the culinary world than the awarding of a Michelin Star.
The French tyre manufacturer’s UK and Ireland award winners and guide for 2022 are set to be revealed next week.
But Michelin has already revealed the eateries that will be its Bib Gourmands for this year.
So what exactly are they - and who has been awarded one?
Here’s what you need to know.
What are Bib Gourmands?
Bib Gourmands, which translates literally as ‘Gourmet Bibs’, are awards given to restaurants that offer what Michelin deems to be good quality and good value cooking - i.e. good value for money.
While not at the same level as Michelin starred restaurants, the ‘Bibs’ are highlighted in Michelin’s annual guides to the best restaurants and gastro pubs in the UK and Ireland.
There are guides for many countries across the world, including France, the USA and Japan.
They have been published by Michelin for more than 100 years.
It initially launched the concept to encourage people to go on driving trips and therefore, require car tyres.
In this year’s British guide, there are 122 Bibs in total, 16 of which are new additions.
13 of these restaurants are also entirely new to the Michelin guide.
“Bib Gourmands are an important part of our selection and are particularly popular with our readers and users, who are always on the lookout for wonderful food at great prices,” said Gwendal Poullennec, International Director of the Michelin Guides.
“All these restaurants are to be congratulated for what they have achieved in these very challenging times.”
Michelin is set to publish the guide and reveal who has won its prestigious Stars on Wednesday next week (16 February).
Which UK restaurants have been awarded Bib Gourmands?
Here is a full list of the new Bib Gourmands for 2022 and the types of food they offer:
- Brutto, Clerkenwell (Italian)
- Pahli Hill, Regent’s Park and Marylebone (Indian)
- Manteca, Shoreditch (Italian)
- Humble Chicken, Soho (Japanese)
- Imad’s Syrian Kitchen, Soho (Middle Eastern)
- Andria, Dartmouth - Devon (seafood, European, tapas)
- Burnt Orange, Brighton - East Sussex (Middle Eastern)
- Kintsu, Colchester - Essex (Japanese and European fusion, tapas)
- Sargasso, Margate - Kent (modern British)
- Sculthorpe Mill, Sculthorpe – Norfolk (modern British)
- The Hollist Arms, Lodsworth – West Sussex (British Mediterranean fusion)
- Ka Pao, Glasgow (Asian)
- Celentano’s, Glasgow (Italian)
Three restaurants in the Republic of Ireland have also been awarded Bibs.
- Cush, Ballycotton (modern Irish, seafood)
- Éan, Galway (modern Irish)
- Everett’s, Waterford (modern Irish)
A message from the editor:
Thank you for reading. NationalWorld is a new national news brand, produced by a team of journalists, editors, video producers and designers who live and work across the UK. Find out more about who’s who in the team, and our editorial values. We want to start a community among our readers, so please follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, and keep the conversation going. You can also sign up to our email newsletters and get a curated selection of our best reads to your inbox every day.