A hiker reported as missing in the San Gabriel mountains in southern California has been named as British actor Julian Sands. The 65-year-old actor was reported missing in the Baldy Bowl area on Friday 13 January evening, with searches by local authorities continuing over the weekend.
Authorities say there is still “no hard deadline” for calling off the search for Sands, one week after the British actor was first reported missing in the southern Californian mountains. San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said the incident was still being classified as a search and rescue operation, though snow, sleet and fog continued to hinder operations on foot.
The family of Sands has praised the “heroic” efforts of Californian authorities conducting the search for the missing actor.
On Friday (13 January) evening, a hiker was reported as missing in the San Gabriel mountains, situated in southern California - said hiker has since been named as 65 year old British actor Julian Sands.
The force said its search and rescue teams had responded to 14 calls on Mount Baldy and in the surrounding area over the last four weeks.
A spokesperson for the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s department said: “On Friday, January 13, at about 7:30 pm, a hiker, identified as 65-year-old Julian Sands of North Hollywood was reported missing in the Baldy Bowl area.
“Sheriff’s Department Search and Rescue crews responded and began a search. Because of avalanche risks and trail conditions, the ground crews were pulled off the mountain on Saturday evening. However, we continue to search by helicopter and drones when the weather permits.”
The investigation has been made especially difficult due to severe storms affecting the area shortly after Sands went missing. The spokesperson said that additional ground searches would be scheduled when the weather improves and conditions were safer for rescue crews.
As of Thursday 19 January evening, visibility at high altitudes in the Mount Baldy area remained poor, with searches planned to continue when conditions permitted.
“We will schedule another ground search when the weather improves, and it is safe for our ground crews,” a spokesperson from the department told the PA news agency.
They added that there was “no hard deadline” for abandoning search efforts and “no date set”.
On 19 January, Sands’ family towed his car from a car park where it was discovered during the search.
On Monday (23 Jan) a spokesperson for the sheriff’s department told the PA news agency that conditions were still too dangerous for ground crews to operate, and that searches would be conducted by helicopter only.
They said infrared devices have been used but there was no sign of Sands.
The department said it has also begun searching for a second missing hiker in the same area, though the two incidents are separate.
It comes after federal agencies joined efforts to find Sands, using mobile phone forensics to help pinpoint the actor’s location.
It was previously revealed that pings from Sands’ phone appeared to show he had been on the move heading further into the mountainous area of Baldy Bowl on the day he was reported missing.
The sheriff’s department said: “As we enter day 11 of the search for Julian Sands on Mt. Baldy, we are reminded of the sheer determination and selflessness of all of the people who have aided in this search.
“We will continue to utilize the resources available to us.”
What has his family said?
Sands family have praised the “heroic” efforts of Californian authorities conducting the search for the missing British actor.
A statement shared by the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Office thanked various organisations involved in efforts to find the actor, as search operations entered their 11th day.
In the statement, his family said they were “deeply touched” by the support they had received in the days since his disappearance.
“Our heartfelt thanks to the compassionate members of the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department who are coordinating the search for our beloved Julian, not least the heroic search teams listed below who are braving difficult conditions on the ground and in the air to bring Julian home,” the statement read.
“We are deeply touched by the outpouring of love and support.”
The statement went on to list various organisations involved in the search, which included local and out-of-county forces, as well as specialised canine and cave teams.
Who is Julian Sands?
Sands is an English actor best known for his appearances in films like The Killing fields, A Room with a View, Warlock, Arachnophobia,Leaving Las Vegas and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Most recently, Sands played the chief medical officer in the 2021 Jack Lowden (Slow Horses, Calibre) and Peter Capaldi (The Devil’s Hour, Doctor Who) drama Benediction.
Sands appeared on Smallville as Superman’s biological father, reprising the role in the show’s 10th and final season. His other television appearances include 24, Dexter, The L Word, Ghost Whisperer, Banshee, Elementary and Person of Interest.
Sands was born in West Yorkshire on 4 January 1958, the third of five boys, and attended the Lord Wandsworth College in Long Sutton, Hampshire.
From 1984 to 1987, Sands was married to future Evening Standard and Today editor Sarah Sands, with whom he shares a son. He then went on to have two daughters with journalist Evgenia Citkowitz, whom he married in 1990.
As of 2020, Sands lives in Los Angeles, California.
Is Quentin Sands his brother?
Quentin Sands is the actor’s youngest brother, and in 1998 he was chosen as “Britain’s Sexiest Man” by She magazine.
Quentin had been working at Harrogate Grammar School when he won the title, after having been nominated by a student.
At the time, Quentin said: “A student called Nicola Elliot, who I didn’t teach, was on work experience at She magazine in July, when they were running this competition. So she called me up to ask if she could nominate me. I was a bit gobsmacked to say the least and didn’t quite know what to make of it.
“But I thought, it’s a bit of a laugh and went along with it! I couldn’t believe it when they decided I was the winner. My brother wasn’t put forward but I don’t think he feels threatened.”