London police stabbings: Mohammed Rahman appears in court charged with attacks on two Met Police officers

Mohammed Rahman is accused of trying to kill a male police constable in Leicester Square

A man has been remanded into custody by a district judge charged with attempted murder after two police officers were stabbed in central London.

Mohammed Rahman, of Westbourne Park Road, Notting Hill, is accused of trying to kill a male police constable, referred to in court as Pc Gerrard, who was knifed in the neck and chest in Leicester Square at 6am on Friday.

The 24-year-old also faces one count of causing grievous bodily harm in connection with an attack on a female officer, named as Pc Mulhall, who was stabbed in the arm.

Rahman has also been charged with assault and two counts of threatening a person in a public place with a bladed article, as well as robbery and possession of a bladed article.

One of the two officers stabbed in central London on Friday (16 September) has been discharged from hospital, the Metropolitan Police said.

A cordon was put up in place following the incident in Leicester Square

Forensic officers were seen outside a Shake Shack restaurant on Coventry Street as well as round the corner at the junction of Rupert Street and Shaftesbury Avenue.

Scotland Yard said a young female officer who suffered potentially life-changing injuries after being knifed in the arm by a “frenzied individual” in Leicester Square has been discharged.

Meanwhile, a male officer who was stabbed three times in the neck and once in the chest remains under medical supervision, the Met said.

Forensics officers and police at the scene in Shaftesbury Avenue, central London, where two male police officers were stabbed by a man around 6am. Both officers are currently being treated by medics. The suspect was arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm and assaulting an emergency worker.

What happened during court hearing?

Appearing at Wimbledon Magistrates’ Court on Monday (19 September), Rahman spoke only to confirm his name, date of birth and address during a short hearing.

Wearing a prison-issued grey sweatshirt, Rahman was flanked by two officers in the dock.

He was not required to enter any pleas to the charges.

Rahman was remanded into custody by District Judge Simon Heptonstall ahead of a further appearance at the Old Bailey on 14 October.

What happened during the incident?

Earlier on Saturday (17 September), the Metropolitan Police said the female officer who suffered a stab wound to the arm had been discharged from hospital while the male officer remained under medical supervision.

The officers who were taken to hospital – both attached to the Met’s Central West Command Unit responsible for policing Westminster – were carrying out routine duties and were not part of the wider policing operation in place following the death of the Queen.

Sir Rowley said the female officer challenged a man she believed was carrying a knife, and she was stabbed in the arm before attempting to flee.

The male officer caught the offender, who stabbed him three times in the neck and once in the chest.

Sir Mark said a taser was deployed, and the offender was arrested while the officers were rushed to hospital.

A police cordon at the scene which covered the northern section of Leicester Square on Friday morning was scaled back in the afternoon.

Forensic officers were seen working outside a Shake Shack restaurant on Coventry Street, as well as round the corner at the junction of Rupert Street and Shaftesbury Avenue.