The Billie Jean King Cup is back with Harriet Dart, Katie Boulter and Heather Watson leading the way. However, they will now face a heavy uphill battle after both Dart and Boulter lost meaning Kazakhstan won the first round 2-1. Great Britain will now play Spain in their second Group C fixture.
Young British tennis star Emma Raducanu has been forced to miss out on the tournament after failing to recover from a wrist injury. The 19-year-old said: “I tried to do everything possible to get it ready in time. It’s disappointing to get the news from the doctors that I won’t be ready in time, particularly with it being on home soil.”
Great Britain have joined Australia, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Italy, Kazakhstan, Poland, Spain, Slovakia, Switzerland and USA in the Finals to compete for the 2022 world title.The Finals see the 12 nations compete in four round-robin groups of three nations, with the four group winners qualifying for the semis.
The Billie Jean King Cup event will look to raise awareness of tennis as the most established mixed gender sport and will aim to encourage more women and young girls in the UK to try it out.
Here is everything you need to know about the 2022 Billie Jean King Cup...
When is the Billie Jean King Cup?
The 2022 Billie Jean King Cup by Gainbridge Finals begins on Tuesday 8th November and will end five days later on Sunday 13th November. The tournament will take place at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow.
Is the Billie Jean King Cup on TV?
The Billie Jean King Cup will be available to watch on BBC and BT Sport. Subscriptions for BT Sport cost £25/month. Fans can also stream the event through BBC iPlayer.
Are tickets still available?
Tickets for the 2022 Billie Jean King Cup are still available on the official website. Tickets for Centre Court cost as little as £8 for children and rise to £90 for premium tickets, while there are still tickets available for the final which will set you back a little more.
There are also packages available that allowing purchasers to see multiple matches in one day. A premium package costs £79 for adults, while the lowest price (category 2 restricted view) is charged at £16.
Titles by country
United States have won the most Billie Jean King Cup titles, while Great Britain are yet to lift the trophy.
• United States (18) - 1963, 1966, 1967, 1969, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1986, 1989, 1990 1996, 1999, 2000, 2017
• Czech Republic (11) - 1975, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1988, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018
• Australia (7) - 1964, 1965, 1968, 1970, 1971, 1973, 1974
• Russia (5) - 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2020-21
• Spain (5) - 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1998
• Italy (4) - 2006, 2009, 2010, 2013
• France (3) - 1997, 2003, 2019
• Germany (2) - 1987, 1992
• South Africa (1) - 1972
• Belgium (1) - 2001
• Slovakia (1) - 2002
Great Britain’s history
Great Britain have never won the title but have reached the Final on four occasions, finishing as runners-up in 1967, 1970, 1972 and 1981.
GB is only one of four nations to have competed in every year of the competition alongside France, Australia and Italy.
• Years played - 59
• Ties played - 213 (138 - 75)
• Most total wins - Virginia Wade (66 - 33)
• Most singles wins - Virginia Wade (36 - 20)
• Most doubles wins - Virginia Wade (30 - 13)
• Best doubles team - Sue Barker & Virginia Wade (13 - 2)
• Most ties played - Virginia Wade (57)
• Most years played - Virginia Wade (17)